Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
Given that I'm about to go on a 20-day trip in Ireland, in addition to my more regular iPod uses, I'm planning to upgrade from my current 15gb 3g to either a 30gb or 60gb Video iPod. Therein lies the question: a 30 gig or a 60 gig.

I'm going to be using it for music, photos off my Rebel XT, and several movies. I have 3 gb of music, and expect to take an average of 150 photos per day, which at between 2 and 3 mb per picture equates to around 9 gb including some extra padding room. That's a total of 12 gb. So the rest would be made up of DVDs ripped onto it. How big is the average movie when put on an iPod? That seems to be the biggest factor for getting a 30 or 60.

thanks!

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
If you're planning to go to the Ring of Kerry and Donegal, be prepared to take LOTS of pictures.

Afraid I'm no help on the other question, other than to suggest that you review your photos on the iPod regularly and clear out the poorer ones. Then a 30 G should be fine.

chopsuey158

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2004
USA
Once you convert the videos and make them ipod compatible, they are about 200-400mb. So, how many movies are you wanting? Personally, if I were you I'd go with the 60 gig. That way you can use it to back up your computer (in disk mode), and you will have plenty of room for an expanding music/picture/movie library. It's up to you though...

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
Oh, that's cool. Looks like although the 60gb would be cool, the 30 seems to be enough. I could put all my music and 20 movies on it and have room for about 6000 photos. Suhweet. Hmm, black or white? I think black...

But then....the 60 is oh so sweet...hmm.

luckylisp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2006
NY state
I stressed a lot over which size to get 30gb or 60gb and ended up getting the 30 and I'm glad I did. I prefer the slimmer size and there really is just so much room. I ripped hundreds of albums at 196 aac and still have 17 gbs left.

I think the only way you should get a 60gb is if you plan on using it for a lot of videos or you have a HUGE music collection. In that case, get the 60. Otherwise I'd stick with the 30gb simply for the fact that it's slimmer and it's likely all most people need.

jsho

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2006
Other thing to keep in mind is that movies tend to kill your battery. You can last about 3 hours on straight video. I bought a 60gig and an in a similar situation with travel this summer. I wont always have situations where I can recharge the battery since I will be backpacking for two months, So I just put a bunch of episodes of TV shows on there so if I want to watch a few once in awhile, I wont kill my battery. I have about 30gigs of music, and 10gigs of video. Im planning on keeping all my pictures taken on an sd card. I cant see myself taking 1000+ pictures.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
jsho said:
Im not to sure how good that would really be...8hours really isint that great considering a 60gig Ipod video lasts 20hours...If I ever bought that thing it would be for additional Video watching..That would add like an hour?
theirs others that are rechargeable but that can be a pain...
i plan on getting one soon for my trip to China :eek: either that or watch terrible inflight movies (i might bring my laptop and ask for a seat with the power outlet thingy...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.