Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
Well this is the story...i bought a 30 gb ipod video yesturday, and as i was unpacking it today...i started to add a movie and some music. as the movie was loading to play (ipod was disconnected already)....i decided to turn the ipod upside down to see the back of it...and i heard A HUGE CLICK...i was like S**t oh no, the hard drive is gonna go...so i kept on shaking the ipod, and it didnt do it again. i figured let me chose another movie, and as it did it BAM another HUGE CLICK NOISE....i was like ok this is happening cuz the hard drive is in use...so i started to shuffle songs...and shaking the ipod i kept hearing the massive loud clicking...i called apple retail store...and the guy said to bring it in right away. when i got there, he heard it and the manager switched it out for me (i went from a white 30gb to a black 30gb in the process, and no restocking fee)...so i got homeand unpacked it...hoping it wouldnt happen again...and it DID !!!! im assuming its when the hard drive is in use. I know DUH im never going to be looking at it upside down and even though im never going to shake it like that, i dont wanna be walking down the street one day and have my ipod die....im going to see if it happens with my brother in laws 60gb tomm....so beware !!!!

p.s. this happens when the ipod is upside down and its going from 1 movie to another ....like when your looking at the usb connector on the bottom of the ipod..

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
well, Hard Drives are not perfect. Some break, some don't.

Just call up apple and ask about getting it replaced under warranty.
You just got unlucky. It happens. :(

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
katie ta achoo said:
well, Hard Drives are not perfect. Some break, some don't.

Just call up apple and ask about getting it replaced under warranty.
You just got unlucky. It happens. :(

i know but WITH 2 CONSECUTIVE iPods!!!! I dunno...it has to do with the ipod being upside down, and a little shaking with your hand...i know im not going to be switching songs like that...but just a concern...

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
It's generally a BAD IDEA to shake/move a hard drive while it's trying to read. I'm sure the 1.8"(?) drives in the iPods are less susceptible to it than 3.5" or 2.5" drives, but there's still less than 1mm between the read/write heads and the platter.

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
Counterfit said:
It's generally a BAD IDEA to shake/move a hard drive while it's trying to read. I'm sure the 1.8"(?) drives in the iPods are less susceptible to it than 3.5" or 2.5" drives, but there's still less than 1mm between the read/write heads and the platter.

yeah... why would you purposely shake it? i find that sorta weird.

muffinman

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2005
San Diego, California
hey, if your thinking its impossible for 2 consecutive ipods to have the same defect, think again. i got my first ipod mini anout 6 months ago. It had the most horrible battery life, about 5 hours. I returned it and got another one, and the battery life was 6 hours. it happens

Lopez.T.H.

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2005
Once I read this I picked up my 5G and shook it side to side. I hear a small clicking sound. (the iPod is off) I think its the little clicker. I have it turned off during normal use.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
Superdrive said:
Did you scratch both of them?

no...what i did was that i left both covers on it (the clear sticker thats on it, which i havent peeled off and the plastic "jacket" that says DONT STEAL MUSIC....but what i did was invert the second plastic that says DONT STEAL MUSIC towards the bottom (now i can see the screen without those letters on it)...and now thats in the area where the click wheel is...and i put some pieces of scotch tape until a proper case comes out...i kno this sounds retarded...and i know it doesnt look the best...but atleast this way I WONT HAVE ANY SCRATCHES on it when i get a case in a couple of weeks..

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
AJ Muni said:
i know but WITH 2 CONSECUTIVE iPods!!!! I dunno...it has to do with the ipod being upside down, and a little shaking with your hand...i know im not going to be switching songs like that...but just a concern...

There's been discussion about this on the Apple discussions too. You don't have to shake it as such. A small flick of the wrist is enough usually to produce the sound.

Someone spoke to an Apple techy who "suggested" it was a motion detector parking the drive heads. Shrugs. Mine does it but it's been fine so I guess I wait and see if it breaks.

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
AJ Muni said:

were they both from the same store? apple might've shipped that store a faulty batch.

wattage

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2005
AJ Muni said:
i was oh no, the hard drive is gonna go...so i kept on shaking the ipod, and it didnt do it again. ....I know DUH im never going to be looking at it upside down and even though im never going to shake it like that.
p.s. looking at the bottom where the input firewire connector is on the ipod..

A few things:

A: Have you read your post, the logic is like no other, 'I thought the hard drive was gonna go..so I kept on shaking it'!?!?! WHAT? Why would shaking it, no, Keep on shaking it-help? Never let you babysit.

B: So you get a new one, AND DO THE SAME THING? And "DUH" you are going to shake it obviously! If your iPod is bunk during normal use then by all means return it, I hope with no restocking fee if it is their fault. But screwing around with it, and shaking it, sounds to me like you are looking for a problem. At least you said there were no scratches, so that argument is out for the real reason of return.

C: No firewire in 5G.

OUT

Konradx

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Counterfit said:

how are you suppose to jog with one then?

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
Konradx said:
how are you suppose to jog with one then?

exactly...thats what im scared of...oh im sorry the usb port on the bottom....hey my ipod works fine...its just a concern and i wanted to know that if happend to any1 else...go to a store and see what they can do about it

davefan6435

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2004
Madison, WI
i noticed mine did the very same thing but i just figured it was nothing to worry about, if something happens to my ipod i can blame it on that and send it back to apple i guess

noelister

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2005
AJ Muni said:
exactly...thats what im scared of...oh im sorry the usb port on the bottom....hey my ipod works fine...its just a concern and i wanted to know that if happend to any1 else...go to a store and see what they can do about it

I have an iPod shuffle to jog and work out with. Why? Because it is perfect for that. I tried to jog with my old 4th Gen and it was not plesant at all. With that said I would not go jogging with a 300 dollar device in my pocket again. I can just picture it popping out of my pocket and diving towards the pavement.

I believe you mean the Dock connector on the bottom:)

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
noelister said:
I have an iPod shuffle to jog and work out with. Why? Because it is perfect for that. I tried to jog with my old 4th Gen and it was not plesant at all. With that said I would not go jogging with a 300 dollar device in my pocket again. I can just picture it popping out of my pocket and diving towards the pavement.

I believe you mean the Dock connector on the bottom:)
Heh, I dropped my iPod out of my pocket once, and I wasn't even running. It dented the top right (when looking at the face of the iPod) corner a bit. Stupid asphalt :mad:

:p

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
I really wouldn't go about shaking any device with a HD inside.
I've already had 2 ipods (1st Gen and 3rd Gen) go on me now from corrupted drives (corrupetd boot sectors - grr), and I wasn't even trying to shake them.

I can't believe the iPod 5G doesn't have Firewire - this is a true deal breaker. I have a 3 year old iMac that doesn't have USB2 (or any facility to install it). :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.