iPod videos on AppleTV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by cbrain, Jun 20, 2007.

1. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Hi,

Using Instant HandBrake I converted a load of DVDs into iPod H.246 format. Will these videos look OK when played on a TV through an AppleTV?

Thanks.

2. pjac macrumors regular

They should be fine - of course the Apple TV will cope with better quality videos than an iPod, so you may want to re-encode them if you have a big TV.

3. cbrain thread starter macrumors 65816

cbrain

It's a 36inch CRT, do you think I should re-encode them?

Also, my TV does not have the red and white audio jacks but it has the blue, red and green componet jacks. So what am I going to do about audio?

Thanks.

4. pjac macrumors regular

It sounds like your TV has blue, red and green (i.e. RGB) inputs - which are not suitable for the Apple TV :(

I don't think my TV will support it, which is one reason I have resisted buying an Apple TV so far ;)

As to the quality of your existing videos for your iPod, if you get the Apple TV working, try them! I do know that some people rip things twice - a top quality file for the Apple TV (which will be slower to encode), and a smaller file with a suitable resolution for their iPod (much quicker to encode).

5. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

If your TV has component input,(R,G,B) you described, then there must be audio inputs for it as well. The RGB only carry video, so unless you have a monitor and not a TV I think you missing something.

And Yes, :apple: TV can send a signal via component video and HDMI.

6. imlucid macrumors 6502

But not at the same time. It will however send audio out to all ports simultaneously.

Kevin

7. cbrain thread starter macrumors 65816

cbrain

There are audio ports but when I tried connecting the Xbox 360 to them there was no sound. I realised then that are audio out ports. I can't see other audio ports.