iPod vs I-Pod

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chaos86, Apr 26, 2012.

1. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

The place you buy it has "iPod" on the sign next to it. The box it comes in says "iPod". The ads on TV, "iPod". The reviews you read before buying it, "iPod". It even says "iPod" on the back of the device, and in iTunes every time you plug it in.

Don't misinterpret my post as sounding like a whiney little fanboy, getting all mad at someone for misspelling the name of my precious apple product; I'm just wondering out loud, because I work in advertising, how on earth does anyone still make the I-Pod mistake?

2. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

3. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

4. kolax macrumors G3

I see misspelt Apple product names mostly in scam emails. I get particularly annoyed when I see any misspelt product name in a brochure/catalogue.

I've seen retailers calling it a "Mac book pro" on their labels.

I instantly lose faith in the retailer if I see that and it could almost put me off. If they can't train the monkeys doing the labels to spell/get the product name right, what's their customer service going to be like?

Same with Ebay, Youtube, Bbc etc. The capitalised letters/arrangement is part of the brand, and it just looks unprofessional/lazy when they aren't right in documents/online blogs.

If I saw someone right on Facebook, "viewing Youtube on my new mac book pro with music playing on I-tunes" I'd start to think that person is an absolute numpty. That's something a 5 year old would write and get wrong.

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

My guess is people don't take notice of proper capitalization, spacing or spelling in general, and they really don't care enough to do it with a brand name. It bothers me as well, I try to use the correct versions when I can.

However, the capitalization doesn't really bother me when nothing is. "ipod" is fine. so is "youtube", "macbook", whatever. But "Ipod"? "MAC"? ...rage

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

What do you expect when these same people probably use loose for lose.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

And the massive fools who say iTouch, as if that's an Apple product or something.

8. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

It's simple lack of exposure. People who have never used the device or are new to it don't know how to spell it. Some people will care to learn and some will just be happy to continue in their ignorance.

9. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Drives me nuts :eek:

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

In the case of retail catalogues etc, the company may have a policy to start all proper names with a capital letter. That doesn't explain the hyphenation though!

11. Surely Guest

Surely

You're such a looser.

:p:D

12. snberk103 macrumors 603

My pet peeve are those people who turn the Canadian insult "hoser" into the French form "Hoosier" - as if everything in Canada needs to be translated...

[/tongue in cheek]

yes ... I know....

13. mgguy, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012

mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

So where can someone go to school to learn the proper spelling of Apple products? Why should we even give an icrap about how these things are spelled?

14. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Now that is slack

KGB:rolleyes:

15. seanf macrumors 6502

iCrap*

Sean :)

16. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

iPod MacBook iPhone

If you type these on an iOS device everything gets corrected to their proper capitalization :)

17. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

I've seen very smart people misspell the names of common products. Was just at a business presentation about a product roadmap for an app. The presenter was someone who interacts with the devices on a daily basis.

Throughout the presentation, we learned that the "Ipad" version would be released 2 months after the "Iphone" version. :confused:

** It took me 3 times to type those words because Lion/Safari kept autocorrecting me. Hope I didn't teach it bad habits!**

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Meh, in the scheme of things, I really don't get worked up over iTouch, Ipod or I-Pod. If that's the worst of my concerns then I'm a happy camper :)

19. snberk103 macrumors 603

I suppose, to be fair, we also need to keep in mind how many products use unconventional capitalization to stand out. You can't rely on rules any more, you have to memorize each and every unique name.

Without looking, how many of the following brand names can you a) properly capitalize, and b) split those that are actually two words that make up their name - including the hyphen.

ebay
    facebook
    ibm
    ipod
    ecomstation
    paypal
    cocacola
    mountaindew
    hudsonbay (the store)
    searsroebuck
    playstation
    microsoft
    superdos
    drdos
    mcdonalds (burgers)
    burgerking
    lionsgate
    mgm

How Adobe's products... two words or one? I see it the wrong way all the time. I cope. I know what was meant.
    lightroom
    photoshop
    dreamweaver

I guess I'm just saying.... I've got more important things to do than to worry about whether someone can properly capitalize corporate names that are often deliberately confusing.

20. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I have to admit I have a hard time getting worked up over these things...;)

21. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

i dont no y people doo that its pretty annoying how hard is it to just properly spell Ipod and Ipad and Iphone maybe one day they will figure it out but i dont think they will people are just so lazy these days and have really not good grammer