iPod vs iPhone: Is there a difference?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bonafide, Feb 9, 2009.

1. bonafide macrumors regular

Hey guys and gals. Now I know my title may be misleading but the question I am asking is:

Is there a difference between the iPhone and iPod when you take away the phone function?

Can an Ipod touch do everything an iPhone can when it comes to Apps, etc?

I am undecided on purchasing an Ipod touch to the Iphone. I really don't need a phone and I could use the extra $60-90 a month it costs to run one in my own pocket. My primary function would be using it as an iPod & PDA/scheduler. But if it means I'll loose massive functionality then I'll go with an iPhone.

Fill me in... Thanks.

2. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Hardware is slightly slower (I believe) and lacks GPS. Other then the obvious phone/data thing of course :)

3. Pgohlke macrumors 6502

Actually I believe the iphone is clocked at 412mhz while the 2nd generation iPod touch isnclocked at 532mhz, also the iPod touch has Nike plus support to

4. Turmoil macrumors regular

5. todd2000 macrumors 68000

The iPod is actually faster then the iPhone, but it does not have GPS, a Camera, or a built in Mic (you can plug one in). The one major thing the iPhone has that the iPod doesn't is the ability to access the internet almost anywhere, assuming you get cell coverage. I hate not being able to get on the net on my Touch unless I can happen to find a hotspot.

App wise they can both run basically the same apps, with the exception of Apps that require some features of the iPhone.

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

it only costs 30.00 extra month to run one. well if your on at&t.

7. GetAudiHere macrumors regular

The main thing for me is the internet when not in a wifi hotspot.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well... sure, if you already have a cell phone. Believe it or not, some of us still don't use a cell phone -- so an iPhone costs $80 "extra" a month, compared to Touch costing nothing other than what you initially pay for it.

9. JAT macrumors 603

Get the iPod. And there is only one o in lose. Get WeDict on your iPod, it will tell you things like that.

10. pinback pro macrumors member

pinback pro

:D that was great

11. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

For some reason Apple doesn't, at present, allow some features of the 'Maps' app to run on the iPod Touch, such as 'Street View'.

Also, the iPhone has an 'iPod' app/button, where on the iPod Touch there are two separate apps/buttons to access that content, 'Music' and 'Video'. Not a big difference, but a difference.