iPod vs iPhone preset in Handbreak

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GoCubsGo, May 10, 2008.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I am encoding a DVD for my friend's iPod. I noticed in Handbreak there's a preset for iPod High Rez and iPhone. The only variance that I can see is that the picture setting for the iPhone preset is 496x368 whereas the picture setting for iPod High Rez preset is 640x480. And the average bitrate using the iPod High Rez preset is 1500 and the iPhone preset average bitrate is 960.

I did encode the DVD for iPod and put it on my iPhone and it played fine but would there be a quality difference (better) if I used the iphone preset instead if I wanted the DVD on my iPhone?

I hope that's not all that confusing. And yes if it works then who cares, but I was just curious.

Edit: The difference in file size between the iPhone and iPod format (at least for this DVD) was 84 mb in favor of the iPhone.

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

There won't be a noticable difference between those when playing on the iPhone or any iPod. The difference is if you watch the stuff on a computer screen or TV. The iPhone preset is horrible if you do that. If you watch stuff on a TV, you need 640x480 and 1000kbps so there isn't a lot of noise or whatever you want to call it. But for mobile use, the smaller one is fine.