iPod wires save girl from lightning strike

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Stike, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Story here

Looks like she was really lucky! But whyever she was looking for shelter unter a TREE during a thunder storm :rolleyes:

Also, free advertising for Apple :p

Interestingly, I heard before of other reports that MP3-Players would actually attract lightning?

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

3. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

wow! lucky, but i still dont know whether i should have my ipod on at all times even with a thunder storm.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sucks!

We used to put our cattle inside, when possible, during a thunderstorm.

In farm country, the weather can change quickly so one needs to find shelter fairly quickly when this happens.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No. Unless you have a lightening rod sized MP3 player, it's not true. Even a door knob sized one doesn't attract lightning. They did an episode on mythbusters.

7. lag1090 macrumors 6502

Hasn't anyone told them that it's a bad idea to hide under a tree when lightning strikes?

8. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

She's wearing cool shoes! :cool:

Anyway... OUCH! Look at the burn down the front of her body.. I feel so sorry for the girl, but she is still alive so that is good news.

9. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

Wow, that's amazing, and incredibly lucky.

I guess she'll know now that hiding under a tree during a lightening storm is probably not the best idea. Glad to hear they're both okay though.

10. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Was it just me that swooned at "Mason came round and carried Sophie, who was scorched and unconscious, to a nearby road where he flagged down a female motorist who took the couple to Southend hospital."

Excellent boyfriend and I know, I'm such a girl.

11. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

come on can't you guys see it happening already:

Apples Next iPod Release---
    "The newest, thinnest, life saving iPod EVER"
    :p

On a serious note it is good to hear the young couple survived without any major injuries.

12. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

(They probably just picked a stock image of an iPod to show, but if not, I'd like to know where her grandmother bought an iPod mini four days ago. :p)

Very lucky girl for sure. Glad they're both OK.

13. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

The article didn't make a lot of sense to me. They didn't expand on how they came to the conclusion that the iPod saved her life. It's not that uncommon for people to get struck by lightning and survive after all...

Also, the girl AND her boyfriend were struck by lightning. The boyfriend (without an iPod) came to and carried his girlfriend to the hospital. Seems to me that the conclusion could be drawn that the iPod caused the girl's more serious injuries.

I'm just sayin...

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I thought the same thing, but didn't say anything.

Firstly, a thin copper wire isn't going to save a girl from a lightning strike. Yes, some of the charge did run down the cable, but that's not what saved her, or dispersed all that charge to ground.

Secondly, the iPod didn't save her. It was the earphones.

Thirdly, the boyfriend got up and helped the boyfriend. He seemed OK. Does that mean he was carrying a bigger iPod? :confused: If he wasn't carrying an iPod, then let that be a lesson to all those kids out there.