iPod wont get past the restart screen

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Mr.Freeman, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Mr.Freeman macrumors newbie

I have 160 GB iPod Classic, formatted for Windows although I mainly use Mac. I hadn't updated it for a while, so I decided to get on a windows machine and update it. Only problem is it never finished restarting after the update. After more than an hour I decided to unplug it and reset it, but no dice. It keeps on restarting until the battery dies showing the low battery screen. I am able to put it in disk mode, and the computer will recognize it then. But nothing seems to work in getting the home screen to show up. Any ideas what's wrong with it?

2. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Curious, did you format it under windows or on your Mac?

If you did it under windows, try restoring the software on your mac and reformat the drive.

3. Mr.Freeman thread starter macrumors newbie

I just used iTunes on windows to format it. Worked great until I tried to update the firmware.

4. tangledweb16 macrumors regular

tangledweb16

5. Mr.Freeman thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I've searched around and found that it may be caused by metadata with over 256 characters. Now how can I find the songs that are causing this?

6. Mr.Freeman thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I was able to solve the problem by restoring to the new firmware. Did that ever take a long time though. Thanks for the help.