iPod won't mount in iTunes

Discussion in 'iPod' started by chevycamarolvr, Jul 29, 2008.

1. chevycamarolvr macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a 15" MBP (which I love, BTW)..... I managed to transfer all my music from my old Windows desktop to the new MBP. That was no problem.....

My problem is with my iPod. When I connect it to the MBP, it shows up as a disk in Finder, but won't show in iTunes.

I've tried everything that every help article recommended.
    Reset
    Restart
    Reinstall
    Put it in disk mode
    Take it out of disk mode

And so on and so on.....

I couldn't do a "restore" since it needs to be recognized in iTunes and that wasn't happening.

The last thing I tried was to use Disk Utility to erase and reformat, but it gave me a "Disk Erase Failed, Input/Output Error" message. Um, ok.

I tried to reconnect it to my old Windows box (which has been acting up and is probably on it's last breath, hence the new MBP) to try to restore it. Connect it, open iTunes. It tells me something about it being "corrupted" and needs to be reformatted. Fine. But it won't do it. My PC just freezes when I try to do it.

I have a sneaking suspicion that my iPod was just about in it's last leg too. It's been freezing, songs and album artwork being randomly deleted and other misbehaviors.

So what did I do wrong? I thought that iTunes should've just recognized it (even though it was previously used on a PC) and I should've just been good to go..... Do I just need to get myself a new iPod? (This one is kind of old. I've had it for a couple years....)
    Any suggestions?

2. chevycamarolvr thread starter macrumors newbie

So just for thrills I just took my "corrupted" iPod and plugged the sucker into my MBP again.... This time iTunes recognized it and let me do a restore. WTH?

But now it's not showing in Finder..... Is it supposed to?

(Sorry if I seem naive. I am. This is my first Mac and the first time I've ever tried to mess with my iPod)