iPod won't restore- can I Jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by flyfish29, Jun 23, 2010.

1. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

So I have an iPod Touch first gen (running version 3 of os) that won't restore using iTunes. I tried all the tricks found online to get it to restore. It gets to the final stages of the status bar on the Touch and then comes up with one of 6 error messages- all of which don't tell me anything as the codes point to doing it with a PC. (I have tried restoring with two diff. macs- and it has always been synced with a mac.) I have tried several usb cables too.

Do you think I might be able to jailbreak it successfully?

I called Apple and they said it might be hardware related since it stops at the moment when the OS is being loaded on the Touch.

thoughts?

I would just buy a new one but my wife might lose her job soon so I am holding off of purchases for the moment. thanks!

2. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

3. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I think- I connect it to my MBP with itunes running. Sometimes when I connect it the screen shows an ipod in recovery mode.....sometimes it doesn't come up. Then I do what it said online to hold top and home buttons for 10 sec. then release top and wait for it to come on screen to restore. Is that DFU mode?

Nothing ever showed up on the iPod Touch screen until I clicked the restoring software button on iTunes.

Then the ipod powers up with apple and status screen and gets to about 95% then comes up with error.

4. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Pretty sure.

5. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

OK, so it sounds like I can't restore using iTunes, does anyone know if I could jailbreak this thing in the condition it is in?

6. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Will itunes recognize it? If so then i think you can jailbreak it, I've heard alot of good from redsn0w and blackra1n.

7. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

It shows up in iTunes but comes up with restore necessary. I am not sure if I click cancel if it still shows up= I will try.

8. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Good luck. :)