Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danaxo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
My 60GB video iPod recently has stopped syncing with my iTunes. A dialogue box pops up that says "iTunes could not sync with Dana's iPod for unknown reasons. (-48)" I would reset my iPod, but I feel hesitant of doing this for fear I still won't be able to upload music after the fact, and be stuck with an iPod with no music on it whatsoever. Any suggestions?

Danaxo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
That's a pretty generic error so it's difficult to troubleshoot. Apple released an article named the 5 Rs of iPod troubleshooting. There are some steps you could take here before restoring your iPod's firmware. Good luck. :)
I've already tried the first four. I'm just scared to reset the entire library on my iPod.. It already refuses to play half of the songs that are already on it (these were the files that were lost on my computer due to a virus). Those songs have stayed on my iPod for months without problems until I tried to sync the iPod again recently. Up until then, those songs were never deleted off my iPod even though the files were somehow deleted off my computer. On top of that, my iPod has been going slower as far as scrolling and selecting the songs that still do play.

EDIT: I see now someone posted this a while back..

I am glad I'm not the only one with this problem!!!
Both my 2nd gen 8gig nano and my partners 4 gig pink 2nd gen nano generate this error.
Like Ikitten i have tried the usual restore with itunes and reformatting with Disk Utility.
When you run verify in disk utility it throws up the same error:

Verifying volume “Rachs iPod”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
Invalid volume file count
(It should be 182 instead of 142)
Invalid volume free block count
(It should be 713536 instead of 805069)
Volume Header needs minor repair
The volume Rachs iPod needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

Repair it and it will sync fine.. Then a few days later the error is back.
Its been driving me mad! I've sent feedback to Apple but have not received a reply. I've also dug around looking at other digit sync errors..People have solved some with replacing their dock cable,swapping USB ports etc?? None of these has worked for me. I even formatted my machine (2ghz intel core duo imac) so i could revert to itunes 6...It wouldn't allow we to sync either of the nano's without upgrading to version 7!

Your right It's seems to throw up the error less with auto sync with playlists as opposed to manual updating.

I'll try and go through my collection and remove any unusual characters from the song titles and albums, but really people shouldn't be expected to rummage through 1113 albums for punctuation!!! I'll let you know how it goes!

But now my question is.. Where is disk utility located on itunes?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Disk Utility isn't part of iTunes. It's a system app located in your Utilities folder. Repairing your iPod via Disk Utility is a good idea. Hopefully it'll work. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.