Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Recently I've been having some problems with my powerbook and ipod. Last week i hooked up my ipod to my powerbook to sync up some new music I had added to itunes. I could see the songs loading onto the ipod in Itunes when it stopped at the last song and within second I got the "you need to reboot" sign on my screen. Ugh.

After rebooting I tried syncing again and the same sequence of events occurred (In the mean time I reset my ipod using the button combo listed in the manual). The same thing happened again. I then rebooted and restored my ipod through the updater. This had seemed to do the trick.

Today I hooked up my ipod once again for a sync (it had worked fine for a couple of days, with syncing and all) and it synced a few things and I also loaded on about 400mb of documents as a backup. Then it all went wrong again.
The ipod started to make these clicking noises every 2 seconds. The noise it makes when it parks the head in the drive (i think). This would go one for about 15-20 seconds after which my computer would freeze up completely.
This happened twice, then I reset the ipod. Tried hooking it up again. It went through the syncing procedure alright (albeit somewhat slowly). Now I just unmounted it and am wondering what's going on.

My guess is the drive is dying. What do you guys think?

Just another aspect I thought I'd mention: The ipod does seem to be playing music alright, although it seems that the click sound when it parks the drive is louder than normal. That could just be my imagination though.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I second that notion, your hard drive is failing IMO. Work on a replacement or a repair because there's not much you can do to help it, sorry. :eek:

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
I ran the HDD test in Diagnostic Mode, which it passed. So evidently the hard drive isn't so far yet that it would fail the test. Its probably on the verge of death :(

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
The tests don't pick everything up anyway. I suppose you could make an attempt to fix it yourself. If you can, try using Disk Utility to reformat it (Windows DOS format, or FAT32, is probably best), select the security option to write zeroes to it, and then run the iPod Software Updater to restore it. Of course, this is time consuming and it sounds like it'll probably crash your system so if you try this, don't do anything important with your Mac at the same time.

Good luck with it all. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.