Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2011
i've got both. i got the ipod4 with my macbook pro (back to school deal) and haven't opened it yet, because i was thinking about selling it. should i use it or sell it?

i'd get bluetooth connectivity, a better screen, and a camera. but, is it worth it? So far, it doesn't seem like it, but maybe I just don't know enough about the ipod4 (nothing on apple's site seemed to convince me).

Last edited:

quizzi

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
I would keep the iPod Touch 4th Generation as the 1st Generation models can only run up to firmware iOS 3.1.3.

Considering the growing market of apps, this firmware version would most likely be discontinued late next year, if not earlier. ;)

palpatine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2011
I would keep the iPod Touch 4th Generation as the 1st Generation models can only run up to firmware iOS 3.1.3.

Considering the growing market of apps, this firmware version would most likely be discontinued late next year, if not earlier. ;)

yep. that is kind of why i was thinking about abandoning the ipod1. the last update left me behind. BUT, i still get tons of use out of it, and at this point, i still cannot see anything on the fourth generation that would be better for me.

in other words, i could keep the ipod1 and get up to 200 dollars, or keep the ipod4 and get maybe 50 for the ipod1. would the money i lose be worth it? i can't tell...

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
Maybe he's in a different country where they got the iPod?

4th gen iPod is definitely better than the 1st, despite the space, hands down.

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I'd say keep it. I have both, and the lag on the 1g is massive for games, as well as some apps.

However, if you're not into very intense apps, the 1g is fine. If the 1g suits your needs, why upgrade? Now is probably a good time to sell the 4g if you do not need it, as the iPod refresh is nearing.

You do not have a 4g ipod touch as there were no back to school mac event this year.

I think palpatine got the 4th gen iPod during the Summer 2010 back to school deal. Just hasn't opened it since then.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2011
I'd say keep it. I have both, and the lag on the 1g is massive for games, as well as some apps.

However, if you're not into very intense apps, the 1g is fine. If the 1g suits your needs, why upgrade? Now is probably a good time to sell the 4g if you do not need it, as the iPod refresh is nearing.
my dilemma :)
i do not use intense apps on it. nothing much beyond evernote, gflashpro, skype, and occasionally huluplus.

I think palpatine got the 4th gen iPod during the Summer 2010 back to school deal. Just hasn't opened it since then.
nope. just got it. back to school deal in japan that ended in june (different school year).

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
my dilemma :)
i do not use intense apps on it. nothing much beyond evernote, gflashpro, skype, and occasionally huluplus.

If you're satisfied with your current iPod, stick with it! :) Then again, I see your dilemma... The 4g has some better hardware, as well as more software support, including iOS 5 this fall.

nope. just got it. back to school deal in japan that ended in june (different school year).

Oh true! My bad :p

palpatine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2011
bluetooth, retina, ios5, cameras... i still don't know. are there any apps, for instance, that take advantage of the ipod4 to get stuff done? i know pages doesn't work with my ipod1, but i don't use pages much. anything else?

quizzi

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
Basically all apps that make use of the camera functionality of the iPod.

If you're not going to make use this feature you may as well keep your existing iPod. Although it may be sluggish on some of the current apps, it still is tolerable with most other apps. :)

palpatine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Basically all apps that make use of the camera functionality of the iPod.

If you're not going to make use this feature you may as well keep your existing iPod. Although it may be sluggish on some of the current apps, it still is tolerable with most other apps. :)

yeah. good point. two things i had in mind: taking notes with bluetooth keyboard on ipod while using ipad as reader, and using ipod camera to take pictures of handwritten notes and sending them to evernote. both features are things i could see using, but i am not sure yet how valuable they are to me. i was hoping there were some other productivity apps that i could make use of as well.

quizzi

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
What type of iPad do you have?

If it's the 2 then you won't need to worry about the camera, unless you are after it for portability.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2011
ipad 1. so, i can see the ipod4 camera coming in handy. i was kind of hoping there was more stuff it could do besides the two options i mentioned above. i already have a portable scanner, so i don't "need" the ipod4...

jonrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2011
Wait... are you talking about the iPod 1, as in the iPod touch 1st generation, or the iPad 1

TheSuperSteve

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
Puerto Rico
Do you really need the money? If not, why sell it? Use it and have fun with it. Its your treat for buying that Mac, so enjoy it.

I got an iPod touch 2G and a 4G and the latter is my main iPod touch, so to speak. Its just miles and miles better than the 2G version. Retina display, the camera, the better hardware, iOS 4 and soon to be iOS 5. Its just better. I do use my old iPod touch 2G though, i use it as an iPod classic sort of. I load it with videos and music and use it like that. So i get use out of both.

I say keep it. If you dont really really need the money from it, keep it. You'll have more money in the future, we all will. My dad always tells me "Money is like a slut, dont get attached to money as it will come and go as it pleases." XD

palpatine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Do you really need the money? If not, why sell it? Use it and have fun with it. Its your treat for buying that Mac, so enjoy it.

I got an iPod touch 2G and a 4G and the latter is my main iPod touch, so to speak. Its just miles and miles better than the 2G version. Retina display, the camera, the better hardware, iOS 4 and soon to be iOS 5. Its just better. I do use my old iPod touch 2G though, i use it as an iPod classic sort of. I load it with videos and music and use it like that. So i get use out of both.

I say keep it. If you dont really really need the money from it, keep it. You'll have more money in the future, we all will. My dad always tells me "Money is like a slut, dont get attached to money as it will come and go as it pleases." XD

thanks for the advice. yeah, it is definitely better, but i am still trying to find something that would clearly make it worth it for me. i don't need the money, but i wouldn't mind having it.

as for getting an ipod5, i doubt it. i think the 4 will be plenty for me :)

i currently have an ipod1 (no camera) and an ipad1 (also no camera). so, the camera would be nice, but probably not life changing as far as i can tell. same thing for the display. the bluetooth is far more interesting to me. but, i am still trying to think of other productivity applications that would make it more worthwhile.

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
From my experience, the iPod camera isn't very good. I actually preferred the camera on my 3GS. The iPod camera is really only good for video recording, which it does very well.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2011
t

From my experience, the iPod camera isn't very good. I actually preferred the camera on my 3GS. The iPod camera is really only good for video recording, which it does very well.

good point. i read on one "scanner" app that it might not work with ipod4 because of the poor camera. that has definitely dimmed my enthusiasm...

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
good point. i read on one "scanner" app that it might not work with ipod4 because of the poor camera. that has definitely dimmed my enthusiasm...
I think that the camera on the iPod Touch 4G is fine... not great, but it is adequate... but ya gotta work a little with it to eek out a better image. I temporarily jailbroke my 4G to activate hardware/firmware HDR. But there are a few fine HDR apps and apps like ClearCam can genuinely increase image resolution.

Having said that, I'd certainly prefer the camera of the iPhone 4.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2011
I think that the camera on the iPod Touch 4G is fine... not great, but it is adequate... but ya gotta work a little with it to eek out a better image. I temporarily jailbroke my 4G to activate hardware/firmware HDR. But there are a few fine HDR apps and apps like ClearCam can genuinely increase image resolution.

thanks for the comments. i wouldn't be taking pictures of sunsets. just my handwritten notes. as long as i can read them, then the camera is adequate. i will have to test that out in the store. i don't want to unbox the one i have until i am sure i want to use it :)

Tech Elementz

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011

This is because the camera on the back of the iPod Touch 4G is 0.7 MP. This is to make the iPod Touch 4G very slim, but at least achieving 720P HD recording, which is what it is better for.

@OP - Just keep the iPod Touch 4G. You will be able to get more iOS updates and features in the future. I suggest selling the iPod touch 1G or giving it to any of your family members who could use it as well...

palpatine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2011
thank you everyone for your comments. i decided to go ahead, unwrap the ipod4, and give it a try.

my initial positive impressions are that:
the screen is gorgeous (i guess i already knew that from staring at it in the stores), it is lighter, even 8gb will work out fine for my music, podcasts, etc. (on of my big concerns), and it functioned flawlessly as part of my "ideal" setup (typing notes with the bluetooth keyboard hooked up to the ipod and the ipad as a reader--i love being able to leave the house with nothing more than my man purse).

my not-so-positive impressions are that:
the camera is bad and doesn't do well photographing notes, but it is my hope that more fiddling around + scanner pro will get this working, the buttons are very inconveniently located, and the battery is the same or worse than my ipod1.

overall:
i am glad i am using the ipod4, and i think i will get a lot of use over it during the next few months, but a better camera might convince me to get an ipod5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.