iPods Prohibition on Airplanes

Discussion in 'iPod' started by dlperry42, Apr 14, 2007.

1. dlperry42 macrumors newbie

On a recent trip, I found that Continental and Delta airlines are now "officially" prohibiting the use of iPods at any time on all flights. Specifically set out in the Delta flight magazine -- music players may not be used at any time.

Hard to believe.:confused:

2. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Stops the terrorists from being able to listen to the audiobook version of the Qur'an.

3. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Old flight magazine. This link trumpets the support.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/nov/14ipod.html

My wife flies all the time and would be lost w/o her pod.

4. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

I don't get that, the ipod doesn't transmit a signal unlike a cell phone. I also don't understand why don't prevent people from using computers since most do transmit an EM signal (wifi). I realize you can turn it off, but most passive computer users wouldn't bother. Most of the time, my machine still keeps it's radio on even if it doesn't connect to a network.

But the real reason is money. If you can't use your phone, you just might use theirs! As far as ipods go, I guess they want you to buy their headphones for the music/movie.

5. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

Or it could be because they don't want the passengers sat next to ipod users disturbed by the noise :rolleyes:

6. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

You mean an airline would actually consider the comfort of it's passengers :eek:

I just can't believe that. :D

i'm so one track minded, you're probably right.

7. kevinliu4 macrumors regular

Sad that American airliners still make you pay for things like headphones and alcoholic beverages. No concept of hospitality or service. And the flight attendants look like grandmothers.

8. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Below the belt man...

9. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Ol' Thomas Jefferson woulda been right there, sharing files with the "terrorists" to get the Qur'an on his pod.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6718662

However, terrorists don't listen to the Qur'an. They listen to Imus...

10. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I have gone on many Delta/Continental flights and NONE have offered headphones or a movie! Even when i flew 2/3 across the USA! This is absolutely ludicrous if it is true, there is absolutely NO reason why airlines would prohibit the use of audio devices, that's just effed. I'll take my business elsewhere if this is not changed by the next flight i have to take... hmmpff! ;)

11. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

The only reason I can think of, would be if there's an emergency announcement or similar situation. The built-in movie/audio system will interupt what's being played, if there's an announcement.

P.S. Airlines SHOULD ban Zune's, since Terrorists 'could' squirt each other pre-recorded verbal commands from one end of the plane to the other. ;)

12. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

But if there was really an emergency you'd see everyone jump out of their seats and panic like the rest of them :p

13. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

That's good for a laugh. :p

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I flew on a Delta flight from CA to Atlanta a few months back and there was a movie and headphones could be purchased for $2.

15. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

I fly Virgin Blue (an Australian airline)-and they seem to allow you to play your iPod in flight.

That's better than not being able to use your iPod on a flight at all.

16. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

If you had read the thread properly before posting you would have seen i gave you the reason why...:rolleyes:

17. Queso macrumors G4

Thomas Jefferson would have a Zune??!? :eek:

18. mags631 Guest

Official Web Sites State Otherwise

Continental's web site states otherwise.

And from Delta's web site:

Now, have I seen the odd flight where the flight crew gave contrary instructions for no explicit reason: yes. But, if this were a matter of policy, I think that we would hear about it through the news media.

Delta Airlines Grounds iPods

Or some such silly headline.

19. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Your logic is flawed. There have been portable music players on planes since at least the 80s (walkman/tape players, CDs, mp3s) so i doubt your reason is really "THE" reason why. Noise has always been there and portable music players are no more numerous now than before. Maybe you should think before you bash other people's comments

:rolleyes:

20. shecky Guest

shecky

you guys understand this is some newbie trolling, right?