iPodTouch AND iPhone?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by asrmatt, Apr 18, 2008.

1. asrmatt macrumors regular

asrmatt

Still no iPhone here in Italy, so four months ago I got myself a wonderful 16GB iPod Touch.
    Now I keep reading that finally the 3G iPhone could be coming out, in Italy too...
    My question is: does it make any sense to buy it and have both an iPod Touch and an iPhone?

Let me say that I travel every week on planes, and that's where I use my iPod the most. I think they wouldn't even let me keep my phone on during travel...

Thank you for any advice!

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Probably not, unless of course you really want an iPhone, in which case you could resell your iPod touch.

Also, for what it's worth, the iPhone has an airplane mode. Link

3. asrmatt thread starter macrumors regular

asrmatt

Thank you for the answer.

On the Apple store I also read about the "battery life" of both and they seem quite similar. But I'm wondering what the real battery life of the iPhone would be with both audio playback AND conversation/e-mail use.
    Is there anywhere where I could get statistics about it?
    Thanks again! :)

4. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

well...as for the battery life i think its effected because when I had the iPhone I would barely play with it ( a couple websites a day), send maybe 5-10 sms a day, talk 1 hour total and had to recharge every night.

However, I got rid of the iPhone and went back to my BlackBerry and picked an iPod touch because it has all the great iPhone features minus the phone and the battery lasts me 2-3 days! (i don't even turn it off). I play music for about 2 hours a day, play games (iCopter, Solitaire) for over 1 hour a day, and surf the web. If you are travelling and use the iPod function/games on the plane you may feel short of battery after that and looking to charge your iPhone.

I love the iPhone but I prefer real keys as opposed to the touch screen keyboard and just the iPod functionality is equally great.

Like mentioned above, if you really want the iPhone you can sell your iPod touch but i don't see the need of having both.

5. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I also am considering getting the 3g iphone and selling my 8gb ipod touch. The only thing I have to do first is find out when my verizon contract is up:(

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I wouldn't keep an iPhone and an iPod Touch. In fact, since I got my iPhone I very seldom use my 30GB iPod.

7. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Same here. I have not hardly touched an iPod since June 30 2007, although i want a nano and a shuffle cause they are so pretty. It's only worth it if you think it is. I love the iPhone, can't wait till June for the new firmware. iPod touch is great too. You could sell the iPod and get the iPhone or you can keep both. It's no illogical to do that, just not necessary, and most people don't feel the need to. It's up to you though.

8. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

the iPhone is an iPod touch with a camera and phone.. thats about it... personally i would get rid of iPod touch... why keep both considering iPhone is so much better So much easier to own a single device as opposed to worry of having to carry two.

Airplane mode would allow you to use iPhone on plane. As iPhone hasnt come to Italy yet, you will be forced to JB and unlock, thus voiding your warranty. are you prepared to do this?

best of luck

9. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Hear Hear...

10. tangledweb16 macrumors regular

tangledweb16

I'd sell the iPod touch once you decide to get the iPhone.

I don't see the point in having both, honestly.

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

if you had read the post you would know that he is waiting until the iPhone comes to Italy.

12. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Where does it say that voids the warranty? :/

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The only time this would seem logical is if you needed the extra space, but since (assumption) the 3G phone wouldn't lose memory space...it doesn't seem like this should be an issue, if you have exactly 15 gb's of music and there is a phone with more space...it will probably make sense to do the upgrade, and with the money from the sale of your touch you could probably cover the difference.