iPone 6 Plus vibrator cheap and noisy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lancastor, Dec 7, 2014.

1. lancastor macrumors 6502a

I got an iPhone 6 Plus and the vibrator feels cheap and noisy in comparison to the iPhone 6.

Have I received a faulty iPhone or is the Plus vibrator really bad?

2. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

I can tell you that it is louder than previous models. I believe that the thinness of the device has a lot to do with it.

3. cababah macrumors 68000

It's been widely documented that it is louder and a bit "rougher" sounding than previous phones. The 4S had the smoothest and most solid vibrating sound out of all the iPhones. When they changed to the thinner chassis for the iPhone 5, they had to revert to an older style vibrate motor for fitment reasons. Probably a similar situation in the even thinner 6/6+.

4. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

I prefer the vibrating motor to actually work. I don't care how much sound it produces. The motor on the Note 4 was nice and quiet and...didn't do anything to alert me to notifications when in my pocket. Even when I'm sitting at a desk, not even moving. It was barely a tingle if anything.

With the 6 Plus I don't miss a single notification, not even when I'm walking.

This nitpicking to the extent of "HOW MANY DECIBELS DOES UR VIBRATOR MOTOR PRODUCE" is pretty hilarious when you consider at least it does its job.

5. mastercheif91 macrumors regular

The motor is entirely too loud. I used to keep my phone on vibrate all day every day and never thought twice about it. Now with my 6+, in situations where I actually require "silence" I have to put the phone in do not disturb because even in my pocket the vibrator makes way to much noise.

6. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The whole point is that it's supposed to be virtually silent, otherwise you may as well have an audible alert.

7. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

It is very quiet. If you're at a workplace where you get yelled at for the less-than-whisper sound of the vibration motor, maybe you should quit.

8. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I wasn't complaining, I never use the vibrate function. I was just pulling someone up who was defending a loud vibration motor. You set the phone to vibrate when you don't want anyone to hear you getting calls or alerts. You're supposed to just *feel* it in your pocket, so a loud vibrate is pretty pointless.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

10. techspin macrumors 6502a

I haven't noticed a difference between the vibrator on the 6 vs the 6 plus.

11. Calebtt macrumors newbie

Well you should have just bought a quality vibrator.:rolleyes:

12. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

People are always looking for a new "gate."

13. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

I just hate it when my vibrator makes to much noise.
    ( Are you happy or is that a vibrator in your pocket)?
    I prefer vibrators that can bend. They are more custom like.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

14. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I agree with sunking and OP. It is too loud. As stated, it should alert you silently. Otherwise, you might as well use the alert tones. And, yes there are places where you don't want to call attention to your phone ringing or vibrating. Meetings, churches, hospitals etc. Hopefully, it will be corrected.

15. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

As long as it notify you well outdoor then that shouldn't even be an issue.

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

According to ifixit and cnet the iPhone 6 and 6+ Went back to the iPhone 4S linear motor and away from the iPhone Original-4 & 5-5S motor. So it's the same motor now as 4S but thinner body and the aluminum body is probably just louder than the glass body of the 4S.

17. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Perhaps the iPhone 7 should have a zapper. No more noisy vibration motors, just a mild electric shock.☺️

18. cababah macrumors 68000

Oh cool, thanks for the updated info :cool:

19. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I guess my viewpoint is that if it's loud enough to hear across the room then it somewhat defeats the purpose of setting my phone to vibrate and not just leaving my sound on. I generally flip the vibe switch when I want to quiet my phone but still know when a notification comes in.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but it is rather loud.

----------

In surprised a conspiracy theorist hasn't point to this being a secret reason for apple to get you to buy the Apple watch!

20. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

The plot thickens. :p

P.S. I endorse your sig.

21. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

Can anyone that has both a 6 and a 6plus confirm that the vibration is generally much louder/buzzyier on the 6 plus?

I have the 6plus and my wife has the 6. Hers sounds fine, perhaps loud but no actual rattle. Mine sounds like the vibration motor is smacking the aluminum or something.

Just went to the Apple store last night to try to test the display units to see how loud they were but the store was way too loud as usual so I couldn't hear them. I will try to go somewhere quieter today like Target or a verizon store also to test.

22. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

It's supposed to be near-silent though, that's the whole point.
    If you use yours in noisy environments then that's fine but the function of a vibrate mode is to alert you to calls and texts when your phone is on silent. If it makes as much noise as a ringtone then it's defeating the purpose. Doesn't bother me as I never use the vibrate function, but it does sometimes make me jump when I plug my charger in late at night and the phone is on silent.