iPad Pro IPP 12.9 aspect ratio...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pr0230, Dec 27, 2016.

1. pr0230 Suspended

Do you think the aspect ration for the IPP 12.9 will ever be 16:9... WITH a PPI closer to what the 7+ is...

These two improvements are what Im looking for in March...

2. ericwn macrumors 68000

No, as far as aspect ratio goes. Initially you might think 19:9 is better but in my view that's only true for movie consumption. 4:3 is actually a very nice ratio for documents and photos, some might prefer 3:2 as the more classical aspect ratio. More resolution might come, but then again I cannot make out the pixels on any current iOS device and doubt I'd benefit from a higher PPI anymore. When the retina switch came some years ago, that was noticeable.

3. pr0230 thread starter Suspended

I do a lot of Movie consumption and 4:3 is very annoying...

While viewing or perceiving actual pixels is NOT possible, I do notice a 3d effect when watching a video on my phone (higher PPI) as opposed to my iPad.... With the phone it almost feels like I could reach INTO the picture and touch things. But when watching the iPad its just a flat screen...

4. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

The 4:3 aspect ratio is the thing I dislike the most about iPad. All modern tv content, and most movies, are letterboxed on an iPad. Your actual screen size is much smaller than 9.7" or 12.9" in practice.

All the pro 4:3 arguments make no sense to me, I have a 16:9 iPhone Plus, and I had a 16:9 Nexus 7 tablet, and neither inhibited reading, browsing, or productivity in any way.

5. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

4:3 definitely takes web browsing more tolerable compared to a 16:9 display in landscape mode. The extra vertical screen space is even more important when you are typing, as the virtual keyboard would take up less screen space.

I mirror my iPad to the whiteboard in the classroom, which incidentally sports a 4:3 aspect ratio (to complement our VGA projectors).

And when watching movies, having the extra screen space means I can have media controls onscreen without blocking the show itself. Useful when I want to scrub through videos on youtube or netflix.

Overall, I find 4:3 way better for the majority of tasks, especially productivity-related ones.

6. Puonti macrumors 6502a

To answer the original question a bit more broadly, no I don't think iPads will offer a 16:9 aspect ratio until the screen can physically extend from 4:3 to 16:9. Who knows when that will happen.

7. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

This is hardly a reason to go for 4:3. The media controls disappear as soon as you get to the spot you're looking for, and it doesn't matter if they're blocking part of the picture while the video is paused.

I agree with everything else you said, though. 16:9 is much better for videos but 4:3 is better than or just as good as 16:9 for pretty much everything else. If your main tablet use is watching videos, you should probably look into an Android tablet with a 16:9 ratio.