Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allan in T.Dot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It's September 11 (peace to all of us), and I'm just wondering if there are any new cases for the IPP 12.9" (2020) that are compatible with the magic keyboard. The last I heard, the only compatible case is the SwitchEasy CoverBuddy but it does not provide much protection.

Allan in T.Dot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yah - heard about this one but still not released yet. The CoverBuddy is bloody expensive for something that doesn't seem to provide any protection.

I just don't understand why folks can't make a true bumper case (edges only, no face) so there is no need to worry about the smart keyboard connector. I like the feel of metal and I could use a skin to protect from scratches without the bulk.

Only found this one: PITAKA case

I’m still using CoverBuddy myself. The Pencil holder really feels annoying when holding the iPad.

Reactions: DiamondarBoss

Allan in T.Dot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'd love to see a IPP case made by Rhinoshield. I've got my Note10+ in a SolidSuit case and I've dropped it multiple times on the concrete with no phone damage whatsoever. I wouldn't risk that with a tablet so if they made a CrashGuard I'd be all over it.

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
Yah - heard about this one but still not released yet. The CoverBuddy is bloody expensive for something that doesn't seem to provide any protection.

My guess is this one will be similarly priced, because they use the same pass-through connection pins for the smart connector.
I think that part needs Apple’s license / API to build to make sure compatibility, hence they may need to pay for it and increase the production cost.

I just don't understand why folks can't make a true bumper case (edges only, no face) so there is no need to worry about the smart keyboard connector. I like the feel of metal and I could use a skin to protect from scratches without the bulk.

As for a bumper case, it needs to grip the edge a bit part from the front and back too, not just from the side.
So it will be impossible for the iPad to stick magnetically to the MKB because part of the bumper will be in between.
And the smart connectors won‘t be connected as well due to the gap.
Just my guessing.

In the meantime, my suggestion is just to use a skin like you said, maybe find a skin that covers the side part too.
It looks best without a case after all when using the iPad with the MKB.

Allan in T.Dot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Good point about the case. Dang...so I shouldn't hold my breathe. The problem I've been reading about skins, is not the application, but if the skin needs to be removed. It can take off the coating of the tablet. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

My guess is this one will be similarly priced, because they use the same pass-through connection pins for the smart connector.
I think that part needs Apple’s license / API to build to make sure compatibility, hence they may need to pay for it and increase the production cost.

As for a bumper case, it needs to grip the edge a bit part from the front and back too, not just from the side.
So it will be impossible for the iPad to stick magnetically to the MKB because part of the bumper will be in between.
And the smart connectors won‘t be connected as well due to the gap.
Just my guessing.

In the meantime, my suggestion is just to use a skin like you said, maybe find a skin that covers the side part too.
It looks best without a case after all when using the iPad with the MKB.

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
Good point about the case. Dang...so I shouldn't hold my breathe. The problem I've been reading about skins, is not the application, but if the skin needs to be removed. It can take off the coating of the tablet. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I’ve been reading this thread about skins I’d like to install on the MKB, some folks also installed the skins on the iPad.
I’m more worried about the MKB material will take off when removed, but they say that didn’t happened.
decalgirl skins claimed their 3M adhesive is goo-free.

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
It's September 11 (peace to all of us), and I'm just wondering if there are any new cases for the IPP 12.9" (2020) that are compatible with the magic keyboard. The last I heard, the only compatible case is the SwitchEasy CoverBuddy but it does not provide much protection.

I have been using the Oxford from Pad and Quill since it was available back in June and love it. I also have a magnetic Oxford on order so if I want to have a case without the keyboard it removes quickly and attaches magnetically to the Oxford
Pad and Quill

7DF3E24A-70BC-4E15-9EA4-C2CF8F4813C4.jpeg

Allan in T.Dot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The case for the a case must be brutally heavy. The 12.9" with MKB gets pretty hefty.

I have been using the Oxford from Pad and Quill since it was available back in June and love it. I also have a magnetic Oxford on order so if I want to have a case without the keyboard it removes quickly and attaches magnetically to the Oxford
Pad and Quill

View attachment 952481

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
The case for the a case must be brutally heavy. The 12.9" with MKB gets pretty hefty.

Yes it is but it offers protection when needed, when I have to bring the keyboard with me. tThat is why I also have the magnetic Oxford case on order, for traveling when I don’t anticipate the keyboard is needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.