Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
In typical Apple logic: they bury tech information and this is what they do to you iPad Pro 9.7" buyers so that you can buy another one next year. At least now I can be a bit more relaxed I didn't get the shaft as hard as IPP 9.7" buyers.

Basically: IPP 12.9" = USB 3.0
IPP 9.7" = USB 2.0

15saemw.jpg

Reactions: 007p and batristain

RobLS

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2008
Yup, I was wondering if others were going to catch that as well. I was enthusiastic about the smaller pro. Wider gamut like the 5k iMac, portability... then swiping its feet with 16 year old usb 2 technology.

I'm hoping the "and more" in the overview includes external storage and proper management.. if thats not the case I'm not as worried about the usb2 vs 3 difference

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Interested to see data speeds over Ethernet once the reviewers get their hands on one.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
So you didn't get the shaft as "hard" all because of USB 3.0? lol I guess whatever helps you justify keeping the 12.9" /shrug

I have 0 intentions of using that adapter, so I guess I'm safe.

Reactions: AFEPPL and baypharm

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
It sucks, but I'll sit for the extra minute or however long it might take to transfer..
Wait.. I won't be transferring anything because it's all wireless now. Oh you almost got my there.

I'm waiting for USB 3.0 devices to work with this thing. It's almost like 2012 waiting for a damn USB 3.0 port to come to to laptops. At least you can now charge your IPP much faster.
[doublepost=1458591229][/doublepost]
So you didn't get the shaft as "hard" all because of USB 3.0? lol I guess whatever helps you justify keeping the 12.9" /shrug

I have 0 intentions of using that adapter, so I guess I'm safe.

Lol, it sorta makes me feel better knowing all those new great features on the 9.7" but yet paired with USB 2.0 somehow justifies the feeling :D

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I'm waiting for USB 3.0 devices to work with this thing. It's almost like 2012 waiting for a damn USB 3.0 port to come to to laptops. At least you can now charge your IPP much faster.
[doublepost=1458591229][/doublepost]

Lol, it sorta makes me feel better knowing all those new great features on the 9.7" but yet paired with USB 2.0 somehow justifies the feeling :D

Hey as long as it helps lol

Mufasa804

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
That is so annoying!!! I was hoping it would be able to support USB 3.0, how else are you supposed to load your 4k video onto it?! Bummer. On second thought, does this adapter even support external hard drives?

Reactions: FairyCatInPink

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
Yup, I was wondering if others were going to catch that as well. I was enthusiastic about the smaller pro. Wider gamut like the 5k iMac, portability... then swiping its feet with 16 year old usb 2 technology.

I'm hoping the "and more" in the overview includes external storage and proper management.. if thats not the case I'm not as worried about the usb2 vs 3 difference

This is exactly how I feel. Its ridiculous that they cut USB 3 from it. Whoever did that should get fired. Why introduce 256gb version and limit it to usb2 speeds...

Wait.. I won't be transferring anything because it's all wireless now. Oh you almost got my there.

Its quite a bit more than a minute extra waiting. Also wireless, even if you have AC everywhere, you get about 15MB/s, USB3 would be 60MB/s+. That is huge if we are talking about a 256gb device. And that's not even counting SD cards / USB 3 devices that would be stuck at the painfully slow USB 2 speeds.

Reactions: Mufasa804

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
This is exactly how I feel. Its ridiculous that they cut USB 3 from it. Whoever did that should get fired. Why introduce 256gb version and limit it to usb2 speeds...

Its quite a bit more than a minute extra waiting. Also wireless, even if you have AC everywhere, you get about 15MB/s, USB3 would be 60MB/s+. That is huge if we are talking about a 256gb device. And that's not even counting SD cards / USB 3 devices that would be stuck at the painfully slow USB 2 speeds.

It is actually written now the iPad Pro 12.9" will support FAST CHARGING via the USB-C Lightning cable and USBC Charger. This alone is finally gonna solve my slow a_s charging problem on the 12.9"
[doublepost=1458599282][/doublepost]I just ordered the camera adapter. I mis-read the info but if you plug in a power via the Lightning adapter port you can power all your devices without external power needed. Legit!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.