(IPP + Pencil) in bag = Dead battery

Discussion in 'iPad' started by andyw715, Feb 24, 2016.

1. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

I've noticed that even when locked the Pencil will pair with the IPP when ever the Pencil detects movement. The battery on the Pencil will almost be depleted over the weekend (without actual usage).

But I'm wondering if it also has something to do with the Smart Keyboard as I can have the IPP charging with the keyboard folded to the back (as if I was using the iPad) and notice that the screen will come on frequently.

So in either case it seems there is a bug in the devices (pencil/keyboard) that activate even if the iPad is locked.

My only remedy right now is to turn off BT when I'm not using the iPad.

ED: one more data point. This past weekend I left work with 100% battery and didn't use the IPP at all. Monday I noticed the standby time was accurate ~100 hours, but the usage was around 50hours.

2. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I had my pencil in my bag all of yesterday and just picked it up now and I haven't had to reactivate it but it still has 74% left on the pencil.

3. andyw715 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apparently the Smart Keyboard has a bug in it where it wakes up the IPP periodically. There is firmware available to remedy that issue which might also fix my issue with the Pencil and overall usage statistics.

4. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Yeah a few people here have experienced it but luckily I haven't had the issue with that. Although it's good there is a fix for this.

Not sure where you need to go to get this though.

5. andyw715 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I removed and re-attached the Smart Keyboard and then received a dialog to accept the firmware update.

6. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Thanks for that

Just updated