IPP Printer & New Router Emergency

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kashchei, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I stumped the guy at my local Apple store--he was so young, he didn't even know Apple once made printers--but I'm using a LaserWriter 16/600 PS that still works perfectly. Today we had a lightening strike, and our router was fried in the process. I went to buy a new one, set it up, and realized I can't use the printer anymore. I must admit that I am a complete novice when it comes to networking and routers, and someone else walked me through the process of setting the LaserWriter up as an IPP printer. I now need someone else who can get my printer back up and running with the new router--my wife is submitting an article for publication and this is our only printer! Thank you for your help in advance.

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

First error - the Laserwriter was made before IPP existed (IPP = Internet Printing Protocol, not IP printer).
    The Laserwriter uses IP > LPD. The queue name of the Laserwriter is raw.
    You need to check the IP address of the Laserwriter by printing a setup/config page - I think by power off/back on.
    You can change settings on the printer by using the Terminal utility on the Mac and telnetting to the printer's current IP address - example:
    telnet 192.168.33.7

3. Kashchei, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Dear gsahli,

Thank you so much for your help; you were extremely kind and helped me extensively the last time I set this printer up. I have set up my first generation iMac so I can use the Apple Print Utility to change the printer's IP address (in fact, I have been able to print from the iMac, so I know the printer still works). It even identified the ethernet address of the printer for me. The problem is that even though I set the printer's IP address and tried to set it up as an LPD printer, it didn't work (it was not able to set the printer up and timed out instead). When I tried to telnet the IP address of the printer, it never found it before it timed out. Check my logic, but I can only assume I set up the router slightly differently from the last one. Does the IP address of the printer have to lie inside or outside the range covered by the router, or am I barking up the wrong tree? As always, thank you very much for your expert help!

4. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Yup -
    In order for your router to allow access, the IP address of the printer must be in the same subnet as the computers (and anything else) that is controlled by the router.
    A subnet is where only the last part of the 4-part dot-separated IP address can change. Example: 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3, 192.168.0.4, etc.
    ("subnet mask" is closely related to this - 255.255.255.0 means - only the last part can change.)

Does that help?

5. MacUser2525, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

More specifically with a netmask of 255.255.255.0 on a network subnet of 192.168.0 then only IPs between 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.0.255 can be used by the machines on it with one of those reserved for the gateway machine usually the router in this case that will serve up the IPs (if using DHCP otherwise manually assigned static IPs) to the other machines and facilitates the communications between the machines when they contact the gateway to get to (route to) the others on that subnet.

Edit: Actually more I think about it the subnet would be 192.168 and depending on netmask the last two parts can change but with the 255.255.255.0 for it only the last number can change.

Edit2: And if ever having to do this for a living and makes your head just trying to figure it out there are IP calculators online you can find that will do all that work for you.

6. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Thank you both for your help and kindness. I have my printer back up and running and I owe it to your help. Thank you again for being generous with your knowledge and time in order to help those in over their head like me.

7. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Good to hear and your welcome.