IPP screen issue when touching / drawing / applying pressure

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lk400, Jan 3, 2016.

1. lk400 macrumors 6502a

My iPad pro screen seems to have an issue when I tap or draw using the pencil. Around the middle of the screen it discolours with pressure. This is especially evident when drawing using the pencil. It only happens in and around one small area of screen approximately. It seems to be something to do with applying pressure to the LCD (older lcds used to be very prone to this effect).

Is this usual? Are others experiencing it?

2. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

3. lk400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's good to know. I've tapped over my iPhone and mini and don't see anything similar. I wondered if it was something specific to the pro, but it would be surprising if it was, given its intended uses.

I guess it's off to the Apple Store again.

4. Daku93 macrumors regular

Mine does it, too. I also checked all the demo units in my local apple store and every single one of them did show the same thing.

5. lk400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for letting me know. That's quite surprising to me, but I'm relieved to not have to return it. I notice it with medium pressure (I don't need to press hard for it to happen). Were all the demo units the same in terms of pressure to see the effect?

I may go back and try the demo units before my 2 week return period is up.

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

This shouldn't be surprising. It's a very narrow tip exerting quite a bit of pressure on thin glass.

7. lk400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If it was just that, then it wouldn't be surprising. But it happens when I tap without the pen (i.e. just using my finger), and happens with a medium amount of pressure. It also only happens around the middle of the screen, which is why I thought it could be some component pressing on the back of the LCD which isn't properly aligned. I can exert much more pressure using the pen in other areas and it doesn't happen. It also doesn't happen on my mini or 6plus.