iPad Pro IPP with ASK. How do you uncapitalize a letter after punctuation?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MartyCan, Apr 13, 2016.

1. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

This would be an example. If I was typing a sentence and included an abbreviation for a week day like Wed. The next letter (the T in previous "the") is automatically capitalized. Shift and the key will not reverse it. Caps Lock does not reverse it. The only workaround I have found is to type another word first and then after getting a word or two past deleting it.

Even if you go back and just try to change the first letter or the word the auto-caps persists.

E.g. Using above example
    If I was typing a sentence and included an abbreviation for a week day like Wed. This the next letter......

Then go back and delete "This". (You don't need a whole word, just trying to make it obvious)

There has to be an easier way? Have not tested this in Word or Pages or other apps but I've noticed the behaviour on a few forums I participate in.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 13, 2016 ---
    ETA. Just tried in Word. The auto-cap behaviour is the same but if you delete the capitalized letter and retype it you can get it in lowercase.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Try: Settings > General > Keyboard > auto caps off

For what's worth, I haven't noticed this behavior on the onscreen keyboard. If I type Wed. the shift key comes on, but tapping it turns it off and I'm able to type "the" without caps.

3. dyt1983 macrumors 65816

Presuming you want to retain the auto-capitalization: on the ASK backspace over the word, tap the shift key, type the word again. If you think of it before you type the next capitalized word, tap the shift key. Just like the on-screen keyboard.

4. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

That works in Word but it does not work on MacRumors or a number of other forums accessed via Safari.

Forgot I could turn autocaps off in settings I guess. Would make more sense with the ASK because it is otherwise like typing on a Mac.

5. dyt1983 macrumors 65816

Hmm I am trying it now. It seems to work. After the period-space, I tapped the shift key (and let go) and the next character is not capitalized. If you backspace it will activate capitalization again, and so need to tap the shift key again. see here we go. again. And I'm doing it in Safari on the forum (in case that wasn't clear). I do have auto-correct off, so that could be another modifier.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 14, 2016 ---
    In case it makes a dfference, that was on a BiPP on 9.3.1 with a launch day ASK. Dunno if anything has changed in firmwares or iOS versions.

6. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

7. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I took a look and I am on an 1st release 12.9 IPP on 9.3.1. My ASK is also original and I think the firmware has updated twice since I got it. Autocorrect is also off.

So I just tried what you said and it did work this time. No word of a lie I tried and tried multiple times the day I posted the OP on this and did just what you said and it would not allow me to change that first letter to lower case. I have not changed any settings since then either.

Really, really weird.

8. dyt1983 macrumors 65816

The complexity of modern software has made "Twilight Zone moments" commonplace these days!

9. planelydesigned macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure if you hit shift before you type the key, it un-shifts it. Similarly to if you were typing on screen, you'd tap shift and then type the letter.

10. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

It should. It was not and I tested multiple times on multiple forums. Tried not just the shift key but the caps lock key and mulitple combinations of shift, control, command, option, etc.

It is working now but I have no explanation why.