IPP2 12.9" - thoughts about the hardware specs?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jumpingjackflash, Jun 5, 2017.

1. jumpingjackflash macrumors regular

In my opinion the hardware specs were really disappointing.
    A10X chip delivers only +30% CPU and +40% GPU compared to the 1,5year old A9X. Is that really enough? I don't think so.
    They also didn't mention the RAM size in the keynote. Is it still the old 4GB or something else?

Any thoughts on the new hardware specs compared to the older 12.9" with A9X.

2. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

It depends. If one's concerns are primarily with the tech specs, then I can see why someone would be disappointed.

But from a practical day-to-day use experience, it isn't. It's not like the current 12.9 Pro is being taxed.

3. the future macrumors 65816

The screen is much better, too, though. TrueTone, wide colour gamut, ProMotion, brighter.

4. MandiMac macrumors 6502

You know, elsewhere they're hyping +15 % performance YoY as a success. See Qualcomm for that regard. Or NVIDIA mobile.

5. jumpingjackflash thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, but does the new 120Hz screen also require more CPU, GPU and RAM?

6. MandiMac macrumors 6502

If the whole screen will run at 120 the whole time, yes. But there is ProMotion and other neat tricks so this price will be offset in average use cases.

7. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

The spotlight really is on the new 10.5" iPad Pro.

For me at least, I'm happy that in less than 2 years I can upgrade my 128GB to 512GB.

8. Dunbar macrumors 6502a

If you're in the market for a new iPP I would definitely spend a little more money to get one of the new ones. The question is would you spend the $300+ difference to sell your old 12.9" IPP and upgrade to the new 12.9" version? Performance-wise the answer is definitely no for me. The True Tone display is supposed to be nice but probably not worth that much money for a subtle difference.

9. DaniJoy macrumors 6502

10. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

While I would've preferred faster GPU, at least it's an improvement over the older model. I've been waiting on the 2nd gen 12.9 iPP and this delivers better hardware (CPU, GPU, storage, connectivity) for the same $ as the 1st gen 12.9 iPP so I'm quite satisfied.

11. JPack macrumors 6502a

JPack

The higher density 64 GB NAND used in the new iPad Pro (2017) likely has speed benefits. Not to mention the updated memory and storage controller in the A10 SoC.

And 30-40% performance increases are huge. This isn't the 1990s when transistor budgets were doubling every 6 months.

12. krisatwerk macrumors newbie

The other thing I noticed with the 12.9 is that it appears to have a camera bump from the picture gallery online. I really was interested in getting a new iPad this time around but it bothers me that it won't sit flat without a case, and seeing how one of the primary use cases they showcase is drawing on a flat surface, this sort of bothers me. Any thoughts or opinions? Am I the only one who is hesitating because of this?

13. jumpingjackflash thread starter macrumors regular

Previously CPU and GPU had roughly doubled in every 12 months. Now after 18 months we get 30% increase. That is not huge. Not to mention RAM which is most likely still 4gb when it should be 6gb.

14. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Who is really taxing these CPU/gpu though? 30-40% more on an already overpowered chip is pretty impressive. Honestly I'm looking to see if the battery life improved on the 12.9 IPP. it's currently pretty good but it could be so much better, especially for the size

15. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

I' am considering the 12,9-inch model as I use my iPad more like a secondary display more than a mobile tablet these days. I tried the iPad Pro 12,9-inch for one day about a year ago and I felt it was too big for me as a mobile devices. But since then I've changed jobs, I no longer use it the same way so I want a larger display.

But there was a lot of things I didn't catch during the keynote. Like, is the iPad Pro 12,9-inch also better optimised in terms of size? Or is it only the 10,5-inch model that features a better screen-to-body-ratio? Is the 12,9-inch the same size as the previous model?

And what's going on with the accessories? I hated the move they did with the iPad Pro where they stopped offering Smart Cases so instead of getting a decently priced full leather cover you had to get this silicon back + silicon smart cover and combined they costed more compared to what the Leather Smart Cases used to cost...

This time around I can only seem to find a Leather Smart Cover? Apple is not selling any back cover? And the Leather Smart Cover more or less the same as what the Silicon Back + Silicon Smart Cover costed for the previous iPad Pro??

And no one seems to compare the damn iPad's in terms of size. Like seriously? The Verge didn't bring their iPad Pro 12,9-inch or their iPad Pro 9,7-inch to WWDC so they can't confirm whether the new iPad Pro 10,5-inch is bigger compared to the previous 9,7-inch or not.. And they don't even compare it to the new 12,9-inch or anything......

16. the future macrumors 65816

Go to apple.com, you'll find the sizes of the new and old models. The 10.5 is slightly bigger than the 9.7, the new 12.9 is exactly the same size as the old 12.9, but a little lighter.

17. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

The new 12.9 is exactly the same size as the old one. If you have old cases etc, you can still probably still use them if the camera hole is big enough.
    However the new 12.9 is slightly but noticeably lighter than the old one. It's very similar to 9.7 iPad 3/4, in terms of weight, which is nice

18. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

The 120Hz refresh rate is made possible by the new motion controller. That uses more battery power, but there are power savings in other areas that make up for it. Battery life is the same as iPPv1.

Specs are outstanding. Can handle the most demanding tasks with ease.

19. fokmik macrumors 68000

since the IPP has the same resolution, to have an cpu 30% increase, its huge these days ! and lets not forget the gpu is more important when you are using multi tasking on display

20. JPack macrumors 6502a

JPack

The specs are right on the Apple website. The dimensions are listed and the screen/body ratios you can calculate.

Screen to body ratio:

10.5" iPad Pro (79%)
    12.9" iPad Pro (77%)
    9.7" iPad/iPad Pro (73%)
    7.9" iPad mini (71%)

Yes, the 10.5" iPad Pro is marginally larger than the 9.7" iPad Pro.

21. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Not like it needed major improvements

Plus the updates that matter is from ios 11. True tone is a good feature to have but if you have as 12.9 already then it's not a needed upgrade.

For those who wanted a bigger screen from 9.7 and not as big as 12.9 the 10.5 is perfect.

22. bosatsu macrumors member

bosatsu

Yeah, I spotted that bump too, if it´s the same as the iPhone 6 S, it may cripple the draw experience.

23. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

A thought just occurred to me, Microsoft's cut off for free Office apps is 10.1" so looks like one would need a paid MS Office subscription for the new 10.5" iPad. :rolleyes:

IMG_5174.PNG

IMG_3846.PNG

24. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

My current 12.9 inch iPad does not have a bump. So if the new one is identical then it won't have a bump either for the camera

25. fokmik macrumors 68000

stay calm, i have the 9.7" and it stay flat..its a too wide and long device to wobble..so,no,not even the 10.5" or 12.9" wobbles because of that bump..its physics
    --- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2017 ---
    both 10.5" and 12.9" now has the 12MP with 1.8f aperture