iPranks Backup Utility ~ Public Release

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chris Stroud, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Chris Stroud macrumors member

Today is a day I have been waiting for for two and a half weeks. So have many of you guys have asked for a stable, working Backup utility... and I believe I have met that standard.

This is not the final release, it will receive many updates in the future, I anticipate one being in the next few days. I promise NOT to leave you guys hanging like the previous alternative did.

[​IMG]

This is the icon that you will grow to love I hope. I also plan to be back with a guided tour that is way better than the one I provided for iPranks Beta.

I am not saying that this will just instantaneously instal and work beautifully, I haven't gotten any beta testers to test this installer since it's 3AM. So if we run into issues, post them. I'll fix them. It's been a pleasure creating this. Expect more where that came from.

Please post any questions or small bugs that aren't just UI related.

Go here to get it:

http://srcperspective.com/chris

Thanks and Enjoy,

Chris

EDIT: The server seems to be acting very strangely. If you have issues accessing the site, please try again in a few hours. I apologize, but this is beyond my control.

2. alFR macrumors 68020

Er, I'm not sure I understand what your application does. How do you trick your friends on their iPhones if the app only runs under Windows? How do you expect to get this through the App Store if it eventually needs to go on the 'phone? Also, I'm not sure Apple will like you using their "We'll be back soon" Post-It graphic on your blog page....

3. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

more importantly, how the hell do you get it on their iPhone without them knowing?

4. Chris Stroud thread starter macrumors member

I'm just good. And I'll take it down if they send me one of those nice emails. I think this thread is backup related no? And this is all PC software, nothing to go through the AppStore.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

"I'm just good"

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Here's more:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. Chris Stroud thread starter macrumors member

whatever. This is for the backup app, not iPranks. If you don't like it, don't use it.

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Why did you basically copy every aspect of Apples website on to your site?

8. alFR macrumors 68020

I think that when you consider that your software is called "iPranks backup utility", your website makes no distinction between the backup utility and iPranks itself and there's absolutely no description of the backup utility on your site you can see where confusion might arise. :rolleyes:

9. Chris Stroud thread starter macrumors member

I can understand the confusion, but I uploaded it at 3am because people over on ipodtouchfans have really been needing it. I will get more info on the site over the next few days, just chill out. and what was up with the picard.jpg?

10. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Oh how I laughed! ...

There's fayboi'ism ... then there is the stealing of Apple' Intellectual Property ... :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property

Yes, Stroud? - If I were you, I'd expect one of those 'nice' e-mails sooner rather than later.

R-Fly

11. Chris Stroud thread starter macrumors member

mmk, I'm still waiting for psystar to get theirs :rolleyes:

and the only thing literally copied is the sticky note and a few buttons, which can be changed. The rest is good photoshopation.

and that's a nice quote but this site has been up for several weeks now. We can change if we have to but it looks good I think.

12. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

What don't you understand? You copied about 95% of the Apple website.

Oh, and if you want a tip since you are "good", Apple uses Myriad Pro for their font. I know you tried to get as close as font as you could to Apples website, but i'll give ya that little tip ;)

13. Chris Stroud thread starter macrumors member

make up your mind, I thought you were against the idea... what do you guys want me to do? change the top bar, sticky note and buttons?

let's stay on topic though, this isn't what the thread is about.

14. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

sar·casm (sär'kăz'əm) pronunciation
    n.

1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
    2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.

15. Chris Stroud thread starter macrumors member

Hey, he can use webster too!. Don't worry, it's comin down for now just so you guys will overlook your arguments and POST ABOUT WHAT THE THREAD WAS MADE FOR. Most forums would infract for not staying on topic. This one isn't quite there yet.

16. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I don't think you understand, you can actually be sued for using content in a commerical or personal setting, which Apple' owns the Intellectual Property rights for, unless given explicit written permission from Apple themselves.

Is there something not hitting?

R-Fly

17. Chris Stroud thread starter macrumors member

Did I say that it wasn't hitting? I understand everyone's concern but if 70-80% was made by me, I don't see how it can be their intellectual property. I am taking the site down, just as soon as I get it backed up so that I can make new graphics etc... it'll just be raw html for a few days. Now can we get back on topic?

EDIT: site back up. hows that design? a little more fitting?

18. Chris Stroud thread starter macrumors member

Is that supposed to be funny? I fixed it so that you guys have nothing to complain about. Happy?

19. shadyInCA macrumors member

You'd best use a backup utility for that? :)