Ips 2012?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by beosound3200, Jun 10, 2011.

1. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

why isnt apple including ips screen in the macbook pros? and i know the other manufacturers dont either but im just curious why not? ipad and iphone have it, enlighten me please if you have any info or theory :D

and would we see a better color reproduction with ips vs tn and wider color gamut or just wider viewing angles?

thank you for your time ;)

2. huythanhv2 macrumors regular

I'm not sure but the color reproduction on MBP screen is pretty much the same as my Dell IPS monitor. The viewing angle is different though =)

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There are very few laptops with IPS screen and those which have it are very expensive. I remember some Dell that was released not too long ago had IPS screen as a BTO for 500$. I don't know why IPS screens for laptops are so expensive, considering that iPad's screen isn't that expensive and there are ~22" eIPS monitors for a bit over 200$ nowadays.

Color reproduction depends totally on the panel. A good TN panel can have better colors than a bad IPS panel. Viewing angles would definitely be better though.

4. beosound3200 thread starter macrumors 6502a

500 bucks hahaahah so now we have an answer, there is no need for an ips because it doesnt offer better performance except viewing angles which arent as important on a laptop opposed to iphone and ipad

thank you for your time

5. monakhov macrumors newbie

It was a lot years ago.

Now, for example, when you buy a new 12.5" Lenovo X220 laptop, you can choose an IPS display instead of TN for $50 only.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, a good IPS panel would definitely offer better colors than any TN panel but they are expensive.

For example in HP EliteBook 8740w, IPS display is a 550$ BTO. Sure, that is a high-quality 30-bit IPS panel but still. 12.5" is smaller than what most MBPs have so that might explain this again.

7. mobi macrumors 6502

mobi

If the demand was really there, they could offer it...remember how many people boo'ed and hissed about the lack of "matte" anti-glare on the 15&17 MBP. Suddenly the option appeared as a BTO.

8. palpatine macrumors 68040

i'm usually directly in front of my laptop, so i don't know if i would gain much from an ips screen. i'd be glad to see it, but if it raises the price of the computer, no thanks. maybe they could include it as an option.

9. bloodycape macrumors 65816

You think if Apple went instead with a 85% or higher color gamut(78% on the 13in, not sure about the others) 8-bit(current is 6-bit) matte or anti-glare TN display for the MBP that would be expensive option? My Vaio TT has an 8-bit, 90%+ color gamut, TN display, and it equals and even bests some of IPS displays on the market right now. I have been reading that Hydis displays are better than IPS as they don't have the light bleed of IPS, while offering better contrast and color. Maybe Apple could go with an Hydis display if they cost less?

I know the upcoming 13in LG P33o is suppose to be using an IPS display and rumor is that machine is suppose to cost around 1600 Euros or something and may not come to North America. *As a note some of that price is actually due to the fact it also comes with the Nvidia GT555m gpu and a thinner than average bezel for a 13in machine.