IPS Monitor for Photography?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MattZani, Sep 8, 2011.

1. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I've got a 13" MBA, and I'm going off to uni to do Photography (Yeah maybe a little crazy but I think it will work...) and need to get a new Monitor to dock the MBA into! Got a few requirements

MUST HAVES -
    HDMI/DVI for PS3 - So either 16:9 or 1:1 pixel mapping
    1920x1080 MINIMUM, but the higher the better

Would be nice -
    DP for the MBA
    USB/Card Reader
    Portrait viewing

Budget - £250 MAX, but cheaper the better

I realise I may not get many UK suggestions, but all the 'go to' monitors are £400+ :/

2. apw100 macrumors regular

3. MattZani, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011

MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

Thanks for the reply, read some reviews and the Dell U2311H uses the same panel but has a faster response time, and is about £30 cheaper, so I think that's what I will go with, as I play FPS on my PS3

EDIT- I may actually go for the U2211H, it's a higher PPI, and another £40 cheaper, I can get it for £179, and it's basically identical to the U2311H in all tests, and has the same inputs.

4. speacock macrumors member

For photography, the refresh rate isn't that important to you, colour accuracy is though, so best to focus on that. Those new Dell models look pretty good and the NEC recommended is also very good.

You're in luck though, as just about the best professional TFT review and information site available is UK based - http://tftcentral.co.uk

One option you may not have considered is the slightly older Dell U2410, it's better than its replacement 2412 model and because it's end of line, is being sold off fairly cheap. http://pcbuyit.co.uk tend to do good deals on them (and others), but it's still more than your budget. However, you can probably pick one up second hand for around your budget.

5. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

I know for photography it isn't, but for my gaming downtime it is! :p and I see no downside in going for the Dell over the NEC, as its faster and cheaper.

I don't really want to go the used route, and Dell's 3 year on site swap warranty is really good, especially as my course is 3 years, also have 3 year warranty on my MBA so it would be good to know I've got stuff I can rely on.

6. apw100 macrumors regular

If it uses the same panel, then the refresh times will be identical. That being said, if the Dell is using the same panel and it is cheaper, go for it!

7. nutmac macrumors 68040

Short of springing extra for 27", Dell U2212HM and HP ZR22w are probably your best bets.

That said, I strongly recommend getting a color profiler as well, such as X-Rite i1 series or Datacolor's Spyder3 series.

8. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

same panel but the Dell has RTC to boost the response time where as the NEC doesn't.

The 2212 and 2312 have just come out in the US, W-LED backlighting, wonder if I should wait or not...