iPT 4G 32GB - is it worth updating to iOS5.x?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by OldCorpse, Jan 16, 2012.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

OK, so I have the iPod Touch 4th generation, 32GB, and I'm still on iOS4. Also, I have an iMac that's on SL 10.6.8, and I don't plan on going to Lion for awhile.

I sync the iPT to my iMac regularly, and iTunes keeps prompting me to update to iOS5, but so far, I've resisted.

The reason I have not updated so far, is because:

1)My iPT works fine right now, and I don't know if iOS5 has anything to make it better
    2)I've read that actually iOS5 still has quite a few bugs
    3)I've read that to really take advantage of iOS5, you need to be on Lion on your Mac, but I don't intend to go to Lion for quite some time still.

So far there's only one app that I have that cannot be updated because it requires iOS5, but I guess with time that could become a problem as more and more apps go that way.

So - is there a reason to go to iOS5? Am I missing out on anything? What are your experiences? Have you gone from iOS4 to iOS5 and what is your feedback? TIA!

2. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

I guess as you point out, over time more and more apps will require Lion. As to whether you are missing out, well that's your call.

If it were me, I would do both or neither.....Sl to Lion, IOS4 to 5.

3. fedecape macrumors 6502

fedecape

I'm using iOS 5 and Lion since first betas and never had a problem.

Use iFaith, save your iOS 4 shsh and try iOS 5. If you don't like it you can go back.

4. Paradoxally macrumors 68000

Well, some things are invaluable. When iOS 5 came out, during the first betas, I was like 'screw it, back to iOS 4'. And I did (too many jailbreak tweaks).

When it came out, well, I was already on the final version of iOS 5, and now it's even better. You got (nearly) all the jailbreak tweaks avaliable, 5.0.1 is very stable, and the notification center is a given. That's the one feature I can't live without. No more annoying popup notifications when I'm playing a game (except for that stupid 'low battery' one, but it's gone forever with PopUp blocker (JB tweak)).

Performance-wise, it's a little slower (but I'm on a JB, remember that stock iOS 5 is pretty damn fast) and drains battery a little quicker (again, JB), but it's stable enough for everyday use, and those apps that require iOS 5 - few, but still - are not going to support iOS 4 so you may as well upgrade at this stage, seeing as most of the things you use on 4 work on 5.0.1 without a hitch.

5. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Why the big wait to go to Lion? It's awesome.

And iOS 5 is awesome too.

6. applephanatic macrumors member

If it ain't broken don't fix it. If you can live without the added features that iOS 5 provides stick with iOS 4.