Ipt 5 and turn by turn navigation ios 6

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mr.bee, Sep 28, 2012.

1. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

Anyone know how this is working? If it's working?
    If this works I'll consider an ipod touch 5.

2. dchao macrumors 6502a

You have to realize that touch5 doesn't have a GPS antenna, and it's location service is based on the WiFi network only (very limited range). So you you are out in the rural area, the map service will not be working.

3. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Simple question: how are you going to have turn-by-turn navigation without a constant signal?

Answer: you're not.

4. take1 macrumors newbie

It doesn`t work directly but it does work. But you will need to wait for a jailbreak which probably isn`t far off.

Once jailbroken you can then pair it with any bluetooth GPS receiver (several available that are costly but they can be had for $20 from China).

I have a 4th. generation which I`ve been using very successfully for several months using a bluetooth receiver and pairing it with Navigon (which I had bought for my wife`s phone so no, I`m not pirating) when in North America and just the Maps program when travelling. Can`t count the number of times it has saved me.

Still think it is silly that Apple hasn`t put a GPS chip in every Wi-Fi only device or implemented the bluetooth protocols to allow the device to communicate with bluetooth receivers. Everything is location based these days and leaving out that functionality doesn`t make any sense.

5. dchao macrumors 6502a

Apple have to cripple some functions on the iPod touch, in order to differtiate itself from the iPhone. From a business point of view, it makes perfect sense. :)