iPT iTunes restore error -50?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cheekybobcat, Dec 30, 2007.

1. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I recently have been having some minor problems with my touch ...(nothing really to worry about but things like when i press the sleep button to "wake up" my ipod, the screen turns white and sometimes has black lines, freezing up, and thats about it)
    I jailbroke (jailbreaked, whatever) my ipod using jailbreakme.com's appsnapp. I do indeed have firmware 1.1.1 so i dont think the jailbreaking did anything really.
    anyway, i wanted to restore my ipod and get rid of everything and make it like new so i wont have problems. my friends have said to call apple but what am I supposed to say, "Hey, I voided my warranty by jailbreaking my ipod touch and I am having trouble restoring it. Help"? I don't think that would make Steve too happy.
    Anyway, to the point, I followed these instructions to restore my iPod:
    1. Turn iPod Touch OFF completely.
    2. Plug iPod Touch into PC/MAC while still of.
    3. Turn iPod touch on, then IMMEDIATELY do the following steps \/
    4. Hold the 'Home button' and 'sleep/wake' button together for atleast 5 seconds.
    5. The Apple logo will appear
    6. When this happens release the 'sleep/wake' button BUT KEEP HOLD OF 'HOME' BUTTON
    7. Your iPod will reboot (Apple logo)
    6. iTunes will recognise iPod in 'Recovery mode'
    8. You will be able to 'restore' your iPod Touch now.

When I did this, it all went well until eventually a window popped up saying something like "ipod could not be restored, ERROR -50"
    I am 100% sure that it was error -50. So, can anyone tell me what error -50 means and help me restore my ipod? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

2. dagored macrumors 65816

Calm down. Do the restore 2 or 3 more times. If it still does not work, find another computer to use. You can not screw it up.

3. cheekybobcat thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

One more thing, when i press restore, it said "restore and update" and it begins to download firmware 1.1.2. and i dont want that because i jailbroke my ipod. what do i do?:confused::confused::confused:

4. dagored macrumors 65816

Anything else you are not telling us. Let it restore to 1.1.2. If you want to jailbreak it again, you have to start over. Get restored first, then worry about jailbreaking. I have done more than three and it gets easier, really.

5. cheekybobcat thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

haha. i think thats it. i tend to forget when im anxious and i was just scared of my touch betting bricked when it installed 1.1.2. that wont happen, right?

6. dagored macrumors 65816

No. Not unless you drop it or get it wet in the ports on the bottom.

7. cheekybobcat thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

thanks man. i am about to go try to restore it on my other comp. i think it will work on that one. ill tell you what happens.:D

8. cheekybobcat thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

it worked!!! thank you so much man!!!
    i am so happy :)

9. dagored macrumors 65816