IPT selects top option without me touching thescreen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iom, Oct 19, 2009.

1. iom macrumors newbie

Anyone else has this problem. my ipod touch 2nd gen just suddenly started to select the top option on any screen without me touching the screen. if i go to photos it picks the 2nd or 3rd pictures, if i go to mail it automatically picks inbox, when in landscape notes it picks the letters "i" or "e" depending on which side i turn it to. pls if anyone else has this problem, pls post how you solved it including if Apple care was of any help

2. therealfluke macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem on my 2g running 3.1.2. I didnt drop my ipod or hit it with anything so i doubt it was a spontaneous hardware malfunction. No idea how to fix it though

3. iom thread starter macrumors newbie

i didn't drop mine either. i have been extra careful with my ipod since i got it. i've tried restoring, switching off, everything i could think of, but to no avail. don't know what to do

4. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Ghosts, anyone?

The screen is sensitive to the electrical charge in your body (capacitance). As the weather cools houses with no humidifier start to dry out and we begin to static shock each other and ourselves as charges build up in our bodies. It's possible that built-up charge is "enlarging" the electrical field around your hand and triggering the touchscreen in such a way that overwhelms it so it "picks" the highest pick-able spot.

The truth is I don't know, but I see more threads like this each year as winter sets in. So that's my theory and I'm sticking to it for now. ;)

5. therealfluke macrumors newbie

But i Live in the southern hemisphere to winter was over a long time ago, so thats very unlikely

6. iom thread starter macrumors newbie

Has anyone returned their ipod touch to the apple store for this probem?

7. JAT macrumors 603

You mean, besides you? Cause that's what you should do, is contact Apple however you are able.