iPod touch IPT5 scratches and Rattle!

J

JW70

Original poster
Received IPod touch 5G Slate 32g with chicken scratches on top bevel corners and also when tapping back with finger the upper portion rattles similar to the sound of a needle against tin.
Has anyone else experienced this?
By the way, I haven't been smoking anything funny.

Called apple... Sending a replacement...

swimatm

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
Received IPod touch 5G Slate 32g with chicken scratches on top bevel corners and also when tapping back with finger the upper portion rattles similar to the sound of a needle against tin.
Has anyone else experienced this?
By the way, I haven't been smoking anything funny.

Called apple... Sending a replacement...
My understanding is the rattling sound is simply the camera's auto focus. I have it too, and have read many people saying the same thing here.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
UK
The rattle is normal.

If it came with scratches, then I would get a replacement.

J

JW70

Original poster
My understanding is the rattling sound is simply the camera's auto focus. I have it too, and have read many people saying the same thing here.
Thanks, I feel like such a doof now... my wife's iPhone 4S makes a noise too, but under a glass back (much less noticeable).
Normal is normal I guess. It's just such a cool design.

Thanks for commenting people. I feel comforted in knowing.

Xeblade

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2011
Thanks, I feel like such a doof now... my wife's iPhone 4S makes a noise too, but under a glass back (much less noticeable).
Normal is normal I guess. It's just such a cool design.

Thanks for commenting people. I feel comforted in knowing.
Mine also rattles and came with some scratches. I was wondering, does your home button move ever so slightly? Can you feel it moving, like it is a bit loose?

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
Mine also rattles and came with some scratches. I was wondering, does your home button move ever so slightly? Can you feel it moving, like it is a bit loose?
The home buttons on both of my kids iPods are a slight bit loose (black and pink). My iPad and iPhone home buttons seem nice and tight.

J

JW70

Original poster
Yes, without pushing it in, just wiggling it.. It has some play. Though, It may be an engineering intention. It sounds fine I guess... Is not too loose. It doesn't feel like too much play.

Xeblade

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2011
Yes, without pushing it in, just wiggling it.. It has some play. Though, It may be an engineering intention. It sounds fine I guess... Is not too loose. It doesn't feel like too much play.
Yes, I asked a few other people and theirs wiggle too. So it must be normal. Better than the 4th gen though, that was really stiff to press.

MiguelFS

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
Home Button

Yes, I asked a few other people and theirs wiggle too. So it must be normal. Better than the 4th gen though, that was really stiff to press.
I was worried about this problem also. I thought I was the only one!!

The button feels softer than the 4th gen's but it does have that wiggling problem. :cool:

noteple

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2011
No scratches on replacement and I just removed the sticker that says tap here

Jonaswq

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
I heard the rattle too!! When I knock softly near the camera.

And guys, does your ipod touch 5g wifi antenna (black oval shape thingy at the back of the ipod) can be pushed in? I don't know how to explain it...

the right side of my wifi antenna seemed a bit lower (pushed in) than the left side and when I tried using a little force to push down the right side, it went down a little.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I've had my IPod touch close to 5 days now. No rattling, loose home button or scratches (yet).

chriffdog

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
I have the same rattle, is yours noticeable when you put the ipod down on a table? Though I noticed that if you hold the volume and sleep buttons and then tap it near the lens then the rattling quietens, but is still there. Anyone else have the same outcome?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.