Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelg90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
Hello,

In the App Store of the Apple TV there are many apps of IPTV (MrMc ,rIPTV ,GSE SMART IPTV ,OHM TV, etc).

GSE SMART IPTV app works well, but the UI design is disgusting and the rest are pay, so I can't know what are their reliability and performance.

What is recommended and does the job properly?

Thanks.

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
I went with GSE as I already had it on my iPhone and iPad. I like it because you can upload your own m3u playlists via a browser and set favourite channels.
Yeah the design isn't great but that's not what I'm looking for in an IPTV player so took the rough with the smooth.

You'll find that they're all pay apps - the 'free' GSE version watermarks a massive 'UNLOCK NOW' in red caps all over the screen until you buy.

There's one called "IPTV" that I tried but the feature set was lacking so stuck with GSE.

michaelg90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
I tested the above apps to see what is the most worth. Following a short review:

MrMC:

Port of KODI program, popular media center program.

Advantages:

· Support in streaming channels and IPTV devices

· Streaming content from the computer to streamer

· Familiar user interface – KODI

Disadvantage:

· Can't install external user addons/plugins

· The swipe in this app is less comfortable then another apps, it means in the default, the swipe performs one action every time, and when I change in settings to " match apple input" I can't see the real swipe, it's just jump some steps forward or backward

· No universal application

GSE SMART IPTV:

Support live streaming of TV channels from the internet

· There is a trial version

Advantages:

· Support in all common formats in the internet

Disadvantage:

· The user interface is not most beautiful

· I saw situations that the channel freezes, and I must to exit from him and return to it, and then it will be bad quality picture and it doesn't return automatically to high quality, except to exit from him and return to it

· No universal application

rIPTV:

Support live streaming of TV channels from the internet and streaming content from the computer to streamer

Advantages:

· Based on codecs of VLC player

· Universal application

Disadvantage:

· Doesn't support in all codecs of channels that broadcasting in internet

· No ability to connect to external EPG

OHM TV:

Support live streaming of TV channels from the internet and streaming content from the computer to streamer

I didn't test physical this app, but clarification to support, bring these results:

Advantages:

· Based onmostly codecs of VLC player

· When the link is mpeg-ts, the app uses in built-in codecs of apple for better performance

· Universal app – soon

Disadvantage:

· Doesn't support in all codecs of channels that broadcasting in internet

The winner is: MrMC

Last edited:

juananime

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2018
Hello,

In the App Store of the Apple TV there are many apps of IPTV (MrMc ,rIPTV ,GSE SMART IPTV ,OHM TV, etc).

GSE SMART IPTV app works well, but the UI design is disgusting and the rest are pay, so I can't know what are their reliability and performance.

What is recommended and does the job properly?

Thanks.
Hello, there is a new app for Mac in the App Store, IPgroove, I am the developer who built it, is now available at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ipgroove-pro/id1439015513?ls=1&mt=12 .
Any suggestions are very welcome.
Thanks

Macky12

Suspended
Apr 15, 2019
Hi Guys,
I am new here. Which iptv app is best for Apple TV or Apple Devices. Suggestions would be appreciation. Thanks

bgh3772

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2005
Flex IPTV. Unlock premium to allow you to change channel from the EPG. Best I’ve found for tvOS and iOS. Highly recommended.

melapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
I’m looking for an Apple TV iptv app to play m3u8 streams and not necessarily m3u channel playlists. Any suggestion is very much appreciated

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.