Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjm05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
Hi guys, I'm new to the mac scene and would appreciate some help if you can.

I live in a college hall where TCP/IP filesharing is disabled but IPX isn't. Does IPX come pre-installed on OS X or do I have to install it manually (if so how?) I need to be able to fileshare and play games (eg Quake 3) over IPX with windows machines so any additional help would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much :)

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
IPX doesn't come with OS X. You'll need a 3rd party solution. I checked Novell's site, but I'm not coming up with anything.

sjm05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
I need to be able to share files and play games with Windows users over the local network. The facists who run the network seem to have somehow disabled access to local IP's and noone can comumicate or see each other computers. Some pee cee using friends have switched to IPX and can now share files etc locally. I was wondering how I can do the same.

Any thoughts?

sjm05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
Well were all pluged into the hall network to access t3h internet, but we cant access other local computers on the network, even if you know their ip address. The router ideas not great because the hall is really big and I'd like to access other computers from my room.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Did they disable IP, or did they disable Windows File Sharing. When I lived in a dorm, my school disabled Windows File Sharing. We just installed an FTP server on each computer. Sharing was easy. This wouldn't account for the fact that you can't play games though.

sjm05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
Didnt think of that, thanks very much. Ill try FTP and tell you how it gets on. I know Quake 3 for the PC supports IPX but i have no idea about the mac :confused: Sure ill work something out. Thanks for your help

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
belvdr said:
IPX doesn't come with OS X. You'll need a 3rd party solution. I checked Novell's site, but I'm not coming up with anything.

I just googled there are some packages, open-source and share type stuff out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.