Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DangerClose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
I have the 15" MBPr and I'm experiencing both IR and a squeaking noise when I move the display up or down. I am hoping to get some opinions on whether a replacement or repair is more likely, as I use it for work and getting by for 7+ days without it would be pretty hard. I am taking it to the Genius Bar next week, but if anyone has had similar issues, could you please share your experience.

Last edited:

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Probably won't take 7 days. More likely 2-3. Sometimes next day if they're not too busy.

DangerClose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
A repair is much more likely.

Do make sure you have a good backup of your system before you send it out.

I was thinking that would be the case. I will try to explain the situation, but if it has to be sent out for repair I'll live.

Would a Time Machine backup work, or are you referring to something else?

----------

Probably won't take 7 days. More likely 2-3. Sometimes next day if they're not too busy.

That is great news! I don't know where I saw it, but I had 7-10 days in my head for some reason.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
I was thinking that would be the case. I will try to explain the situation, but if it has to be sent out for repair I'll live.

----------

That is great news! I don't know where I saw it, but I had 7-10 days in my head for some reason.

Time Machine backup works, Time Capsule or USB drive or Thunderbolt drive or an online cloud system. They all work.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

Time Machine is fine. Some people don't bother with any sort of backups.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Time Machine is fine. Some people don't bother with any sort of backups.

The people who don't bother with any sort of backups are the ones you see one here often looking "data recovery software", trying to desperately grab some files of a dead hdd.

Be wise people! Keep a backup!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.