IR Blaster for Eyetv/Hauppauge

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Tomar, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Tomar macrumors member

Can anyone suggest a IR blaster that will work with an EyeTV/Hauppauge 1212 combination? ZephIR is no longer available and I would like to know if there are any other options.

2. JPM, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014

JPM macrumors member

I assume you want to use EyeTV to change the channel on a cable/sat box that feeds into the Hauppauge 1212. If so, IRTrans will do the trick.

http://www.irtrans.de/en/shop/usb.php (You want the IRTrans USB + iRed2 package)

Once you get it set up it works pretty well. Occasionally the IR module goes "missing" and you have to restart the software. I have no idea why. Setup is a little complicated too, but with a bit of patience it works.

3. Tomar thread starter macrumors member

4. manielli macrumors newbie

Hauppauge 1212 and eyetv software IR blaster control

Hi there,

I am having the same issue. I just purchased my Hauppauge 1212 and realised eyetv software does not control the IR blaster of the Hauppauge. I have looked at the IRTrans website. I don't understand how this could make the hauppauge 1212 control the cable box using the eyetv software. Could you explain how it works?

Thanks,

5. Tomar thread starter macrumors member

I never tried the IRTrans. I thought it was too expensive. However, I did find a cheaper (software) solution that works like a charm. It is called eyeChange and you can find it in the Mac App Store. It is a piece of software to runs in your menu bar and changes the channel on your STB when the EyeTV software tells it to do so. The rub is that it only works with Directv boxes. Hope this helps.

6. JPM macrumors member

All the Hauppauge 1212 is doing is encoding the video signal coming in from the cable box and passing it via USB to the computer (and hence EyeTV). The IRTrans transmitter comes with a piece of software called iRed (there is a bundle on the IRTrans website that I linked to). iRed runs on the computer and listens for EyeTV channel change commands and then sends them out through the IRTrans IR blaster to change the channel on the cable box.

iRed requires a bit of configuration, because you have to program all of the relevant buttons from your remote into it. I found it to be a bit of a pain to set up so the cable box would catch the signals reliably, but once that is done it hums along pretty well.

Hope this helps.

7. manielli macrumors newbie

Thanks Thanks Thanks

Thanks both of you for your answers. It was quite helpful to know that the IRTrans does actually sends the commands that Eyetv softwares requires it to, to the STB, but I agree it is a bit too expensive. But the eyetv software is only software on the market which allows recording and editing reliably.

I still have the EyeTV HD hardware itself but it only records stereo, so I purchased the 1212 to be able to record dolby digital. Anyways, thanks for your responses.

8. Jerryrigged macrumors newbie

I used FireWire for channel changing. Works on some cable boxes, but not all. Just the cost of a cable to try. Also need channelchanger app from rti-zone.org.