IR cable torn apart while replacing HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dbasulto, Feb 25, 2008.

1. dbasulto macrumors newbie

I replaced the HD of my Macbook Pro in order to write a review on the new Seagate Momentus PSD 5400 HD (irrelevant to this..but worth mentioning) and after that the front LED and the IR stopped working.

So after some googling i noticed that some people had a broken cable when replacing the HD, so i opened up my MB and found out that the flat cable that goes from the IR and LED to the hard drive connector was broken. Since it´s a flat cable i can´t fix it myself by soldiering.

Ifixit sells the hard drive connector, but it doesn´t come with the IR part. I´ve been looking around for the part but i haven´t found any reference or part #.

Anyone know how to fix this?

2. fsckminix6 macrumors regular

3. dbasulto thread starter macrumors newbie

4. fsckminix6 macrumors regular

like i said i think they are the same but im not positive as they do not have one for the macbook

5. dbasulto thread starter macrumors newbie

:eek: !! thanks. will digg on that

6. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

I'm confused, is it a MacBook, or a MacBook Pro? How would one tear the cable in a MacBook, you don't have to touch that part during hard drive replacement.

7. dbasulto thread starter macrumors newbie

that part goes by the side of the HD. when i put the new hd in a non gentle way it mus thave broke.

8. dbasulto thread starter macrumors newbie

I just found out that the replacement comes with the lower case part.

Powerbook Medic has it for USD$291 installed. I´ll have to wait until it arrives to ifixit.com.

9. stillill macrumors member

Yes, here is the part that is busted on mine. I put the replacement harddisk in upside down :( and broke it. Shame it'll be too expensive to replace.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Edit, it's the orange chipboard. It's usually screwed and glued to the inside of the case frame. Doesn't look like it could just be soldered together again (looks like an integrated part of the chipboard).

Some ebay auction sell the bottom case for 40GBP, but the task of removing all the innards would probably lead to even more breakages by me (it took me long enough to get the bluetooth cable re-seated to make that work...)

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Yeah... Sorry to hear this... But those machines are not really user serviceable. Hence the price for the parts.

11. GeekLawyer macrumors 68020

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    Hate to revive an older thread - but it looks like I have a question along these lines.

...which I managed to solve with further searching. :)