IR Camera Question (Security System)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nickyj182, Jan 12, 2008.

1. nickyj182 macrumors regular

nickyj182

Im looking into buying a security system, with IR cameras and a DVR. The one I am looking at, the camera has these specs:

Integrated Lens: 6mm
    Resolution: 380 Horizontal TV lines
    Video Output: 1V p-p 75 Ohms
    Power Source: DC 6V-12V
    Power Consumption: 12 Watts
    Operating Temperature: -10°C -- +50° C
    Auto Iris Shutter: 1/50-1/6000
    Min Illumination: 2 Lux
    11 Infrared LED's

I know nothing of specs for IR cameras and was wondering if this was a good camera or not. Im just needing to record video in the dark in regular sized house rooms.

Thanks a bunch!

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Without knowing the image sensor size, you can't tell what the angle of view would be. And without knowing that, it would be difficult to determine the number of cameras (and placement) that you'll need for good coverage.

Other than that, the specs look fairly typical for a security camera.

-DH

3. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Any Specific Recommendations Out There for Low Light Cam?

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I've got a problem that needs a solution too. My house has been egged twice is a week at night. I've called the Police, but of course vandalism isn't really on the top of their crime fighting list. Obviously I need some way to catch the culprits on video. Are there any Mac compatible cameras out there that have low light sensitivity?

I've tried using an application called Periscope with a Logitech USB cam. Works well, but not at night.

Thanks for the help.