All iPads IR emitter in iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by libertysat, Mar 5, 2013.

1. libertysat macrumors regular

I want to be able to control my Sony tv directly from my iPad

Download the Sony app use it kind of like the Apple TV remote app

Anyone else like to see an IR emitter in their iGizmos?

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

From experience, I can answer NOPE. Been there, done that.

Change volume with remote:
    Grab remote.
    While still watching the show, blindly feel for the physical button and press it.

Change volume with app:
    Grab iDevice.
    Take eyes off show.
    Open cover (or press a button and slide to unlock).
    Punch in password (if you have a password).
    Tap away all the built-up notifications.
    Navigate to app.
    Start app.
    Press volume button.
    Eyes back on show.

Even if some of those steps don't apply to you, many of them will. This seems like a really neat capability until you actually use it.

3. str8bucs macrumors regular

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

There are solutions, like the Griffin Beacon, but they aren't a patch on a Harmony remote.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I don't but that doesn't mean that others don't. There are certainly those that do. I also prefer physical buttons and URC's remotes but do what works for you.

Again, subjective matter. It works for many whether you (or I, or anyone else) prefer it or not.

6. raggdoll macrumors regular

:) used mine once :p

7. poloponies macrumors 68030

I've had the L5 for some time and while it's very nice, it's not a remote replacement. And my newest TV has a bluetooth remote which is where these things are heading.

8. LV426 macrumors 6502a

Apple will never put an IR emitter in an iPad because it is technology that is quite long in the tooth, and pretty dumb. A one-way broadcast, that may or may not be received, with numerous codes and quirks for each equipment manufacturer.

What we need is widely adopted networking standards for controlling home equipment. Maybe there are such standards already - I don't know.

Here's an example of remote control working nicely:

MacBook Pro plays a movie, air-played to an Apple TV device, hooked up to a home cinema.

When you hit pause or fast-forward on the Apple TV remote, Apple TV asks the MacBook to accommodate by pausing or scrubbing as requested. Hold down the big button and a chapter selection will be broadcast over AirPlay.

Do the same thing using an iPhone as the control device if you wish.

That's the kind of thing that can be done with intelligent networking, and appeals to Apple.

9. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I think regardless of whether the iDevice is using IR or any other communication method, the problems that I described will remain roughly the same.

10. moonman239 macrumors 68000

It would be perfect for those who:

1) frequently lose their remotes. Last I checked, there was no such thing as "Find my Remote."
    2) want all the features of a $50-100 remote without paying $50-$100. Those remotes are pretty advanced. One of the features they have is the ability to learn how to control any device. All you need is the device's remote. Why pay that much money when you can buy a device for a couple hundred dollars that can do everything any remote can and more?

I suppose it's worth mentioning that some companies do offer iOS apps to control their devices. For instance, Comcast offers an iOS app that functions as a remote for your cable box.