IR on late 2012 27" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pukingpixels, May 16, 2013.

1. pukingpixels macrumors member

As the title says, I've now got IR on my late 2012 27" iMac.

When I first got it in mid january everything was fine. I did that check board grid IR test and I could leave it on for hours with no signs of IR whatsoever.

What's strange is that yesterday I was working on my iMac for about 10 hours straight and not even the slightest signs of IR. Today however, it's actually the hottest day of the year so far where I live and now I get IR after just 10-15 minutes. Could the reason for it actually be that the overall warmth in my office has increased a lot, which then makes the screen get IR?

I know it sounds weird but that's the only thing that differs from the past five months of using it on a daily basis and now BAM, there it is.

It ****ing sucks.

2. jDW194 macrumors member

Congratulations... It sounds like you have, after trying really hard and putting a lot of effort into it, you have achieved IR.

3. pukingpixels thread starter macrumors member

So like I said in the previous post, I believed that the IR was caused due to the increased ambient temperature in my office and I think I was right. I've opened a couple of windows in my office and I also got a small cooler running. The IR is now gone just like that.

I didn't realize that a high ambient temperature could increase the risk of getting servere IR on an IPS panel.

4. Arfdog macrumors 6502

So you intentionally tried to get IR? It's awfully hard to sympathize.

5. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

You know, I always thought that how hot your computer got was one way to get it, but after researching it, that turns out to be incorrect. I'm still sceptical, but the facts are it doesn't seem to matter.

6. pukingpixels thread starter macrumors member

You're not that stupid are you? Please, tell me that you're trolling.

7. pukingpixels thread starter macrumors member

I didn't believe it either but since yesterday I'm starting to believe that it's actually one of the biggest reasons you'll get it. I get it that it most likely won't affect a regular screen but considering the fact that the iMac is built the way it is, with the components sitting directly behind the panel, the heat produced might cause IR on the screen, especially if it runs hotter than usual due to a high ambient temperature.

I just can't see any other reason for my iMac getting IR at this point.

8. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Really think you should go get it replaced. Up to you if you are going to create new issues, but either way, take it to Apple Store and get a new one.

9. pukingpixels thread starter macrumors member

I don't think so.

What I mean is that it was and still is flawless, no yellow tint, great uniformity, no backlight bleeding, no dead pixels, nothing.

Like I said, the IR is now gone and today I've been working for 6 hours and no signs of IR whatsoever. I'm convinced that the sudden IR yesterday was because of the much higher ambient temperature.

10. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I see you're in Sweden. Generally a pretty cool place. How high was the temperature?

11. Arfdog macrumors 6502

Accusing me of "trolling" is the typical generic non-intellectual and defensive answer. But to remind you again, you said "I did that check board grid IR test and I could leave it on for hours with no signs of IR whatsoever."

But ok go ahead and return it since it doesn't pass your torture test. If you want a perfect LCD panel, go get an Eizo or something.

Who's stupid now?

12. AngelGuy7 macrumors regular

Why is it so hard to sympathize with him?

He checked for IR when he first got his iMac (since he likely read that some people were having IR issues) and back then his display seemed perfect. Fast forward a few months and now he's randomly getting IR when he least expects it. Yes, things happen but it still kind of sucks to be in his position.

Lighten up.

I went through 4 units that all had various issues (including heavy IR while performing the simplest tasks) before getting a full refund. I've always read of horror stories and never thought it would happen to me... until it did. For now, I'm squeezing a few more months out of my Macbook Pro until I can see what the new Mac Pros are like.

Now that I think about it though, I keep my room warmer than usual... especially during the winter months. Perhaps that had something to do with the IR that I encountered. Whatever the case is, I hope you're able get to the bottom of your IR issues and resolve them.

13. Arfdog macrumors 6502

I am not the one who accused anyone of "trolling". I made a simple statement, it's hard to sympathize. That's all.

But anyway, the level of anal-ness is getting too high here.... i fully expect to see a thread soon on the purple smudges you get when you leave fingerprints on the screen....

14. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

+1

I thought it was InfaRed.

15. imanidiot macrumors 6502a

Image retention.

16. aggri1 macrumors 6502

I thought IR was infrared also. I think people shouldn't use abbreviations without first defining them, especially when using a common one like "IR" for a non-standard term.

I have no image retention (IR) on my iMac either, and I've used it for playing games at 35*C ambient temperature - it got quite loud, though.