IR port for transferring files

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrmacosx, Mar 18, 2008.

1. mrmacosx macrumors member

Hi,

A couple years back, I had an Acer TravelMate 3000 with an IR port, and I could transfer files from my (old) Nokia N73 to the computer. I now have a SoftBank 911T, also with an IR port and Bluetooth. I know, I know, Bluetooth is quicker, but is there any way to hit 'Transfer via IR' on the phone, line the IR port on the phone with the port on my MacBook Pro and transfer files? Thanks.

mrmacosx

2. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

I don't think its possible. i believe the IR port is only a receiver so it can only receive a signal from the remote. Or anything else that my transmit a signal. With that said, i'm not sure if you can use the IR port to receive files. Maybe there is software that will allow to do that. To make an IR port send info you need an IR Transmitter.

-JoE

3. mrmacosx thread starter macrumors member

Hmm... so no transferring FROM the computer (well there's no option to send via IR when I right click a file) but as you said, it's a reciever, but would the frequency be different from my mobile? Actually, does IR use 'frequencies', 'cause I thought it was just 2 lines connecting...

mrmacosx

Edit: Apparently the reciever isn't even IrDA compliant, because if it was, Apple would probably say so... $2000 and they couldn't even throw in a IR transmitter!

4. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I don't think you could even send files *to* the computer without a transmitter. Even if you are sending all data one way, most communication protocols will send some kind of acknowledgment back to make sure the transfer is working (especially important with something like IR where it is hard to tell if the devices are communicating).

IR devices can use different frequencies of modulation, usually something like 30-40kHz. Even if the Apple remote and IrDA frequencies are the same, they probably won't be able to communicate. It might be possible to make the phone send Apple remote commands to the laptop with a software hack, but that's probably not what you are trying to do.

You can buy USB IrDA adapters, but that ruins the seamlessness of it. You would probably be better off using something else to connect if you don't need IrDA.

5. mrmacosx thread starter macrumors member

Meh... not many USB IrDA adapters work with Macs (checked at my local computer store). Whatever, just use Bluetooth right?;)

6. Pekk macrumors newbie

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah $2000 and they couldn't even fit an extra USB port!

8. fastmac123 macrumors newbie

Why do you need a floppy disk drive? You can get a USB now with like 20 times the storage space for less than a floppy disk pack. :confused::apple:

9. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Yeah I also had a IR printer that I wanted to set up (don't ask why), but it would not work. Seems like the IR on MBP is only for the remote.

10. emt1 macrumors 65816

He was being sarcastic. Demanding an IR transmitter (or a floppy disk drive) is just dumb. Welcome to 2009.

11. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Yea, why the hell do you want them to put in a floppy disk drive for? They should have put in a Zip drive instead! It has like 30 times more storage!