IR sensor stops working? (mid-2010 Macbook Pro 15")

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zorinlynx, Sep 27, 2010.

1. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I've noticed that occasionally my IR sensor stops working, and no longer responds to changing the volume, skipping the track in iTunes, etc.

It can be resolved by going into Security prefs, disabling and re-enabling the IR sensor. This is annoying, however, and I'm wondering if it's a known issue that might be fixed.

I noticed that when you disable and re-enable the IR sensor, the last few remote button pushes you made while it was broken come through in a burst.

Is anyone else hitting this one?

2. wonj macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro 17" mid 2010.

I seem to have the same or a related problem. I don't know if the lost remote keypresses are buffered and play as you disable and reenable the IR, but next time it happens I will try.

What happens in my case is that if the remote is paired (and I think it only happens then) it suddenly stops responding. The first time it happened it was right in the middle of a keynote presentation I did. Today I noticed that when the IR didn't respond, Keynote '09 stopped responding at startup. After unpairing, Keynote '09 again started up fine.

Sadly, I can't reproduce it at will. When I left it for service, I got it back with a $100 idiot charge, since the service rep could unpair and it worked. He must have thought I somehow paired the machine with another remote I don't own right between two slides in a presentation (yes, he knew about that). *^%... no, not Apple's service, a local rep. Not exactly a "genius", IOW.