IR theory

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alexjones, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Alexjones macrumors 6502

Last night, I performed the checkerboard test for 10 minutes. After looking at the checkers for 45 seconds, I looked at my wall and saw the checker image on the wall for a good twenty seconds. Maybe, The IR can be caused by staring at a retina screen for too long and that image is burned in your eye retina momentarily. The retina image is so sharp, It can actually play tricks on your eyes. This is just a theory

2. zOlid macrumors regular

zOlid

And its wrong.
    There are videos of this issue on youtube. (this is one example)
    If your theory was right, then there wouldn't be any.
    You can for sure mess your sight up if you stare at the test to long, but that is not what is going on here.

3. Alexjones thread starter macrumors 6502

I have to admit, I do see a hint of IR on my exchanged rMBP that i got last night. This is my second one. I don't want to exchange it again. Is there a test besides the checker test that i can try to be sure?

4. chabig macrumors 68040

You should probably repaint that wall. Obviously something is wrong with it.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

U should immediately return ur walls!
    they certainly have IR.
    If u already had them for a while then I sure hope you got landlord care.

6. chabig macrumors 68040

Don't exchange it. There is nothing wrong with it. You're doing things to it when you run that "test" that are nowhere near typical in everyday use. It's completely silly.

7. Dovahkiing macrumors regular

There are cases of real IR. That being said, I think some of the more obsessive people here are experiencing this as an optical illusion as pointed out by the OP. Especially those complaining about it recently.

For a more real-world test, people should set their dock to not hide. They should use their computer as they normally would. When they're done, they should flash an all white screen up and check to see if the dock is retained. If not, don't worry about it. Some of you guys can be a tad obsessive.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

Thats a "slight" understatement. :D

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes after I stared at the grid for a few minutes, looking at a wall I could see the grid.

10. GoingDark macrumors 6502

I ran the IR test on both my rMBP 13" and my new retina iPad Mini. In both cases I made sure not to look at the screen at all while the test was running.

If your display actually has an IR issue, it's not just a matter of "I think I saw a checkerboard for .00001 seconds after running the test for 18 hours straight!" Displays with actual IR are immediate and extremely obvious.

My rMBP doesn't have IR (thank goodness) but on my retina iPad Mini, it's readily apparent and unmistakeable.

If all you're seeing is "a hint of IR" then chances are you aren't actually affected by the issue.

11. raptor402 macrumors 6502

It's a well known fact that our retinas are extremely sensitive and retain high contrast images. The checkerboard test is just to exaggerate the image retention of the screen to confirm the presence of IR. During regular usage, your retinas won't retain nearly enough image for the standard usage IR on your rMBP to be visible.

Raptor

12. Chatran macrumors member

IR on RMBP will not move at all. The one you mentioned will move as you move your eyes. Unlikely we cannot distinguish between them.