Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Lextechlabs iRa application has officially taken the title of most expensive iPhone application at $899.99. iRa provides the user with viewing and control of IP based surveillance equipment. Features include:

- Easily view many video feeds simultaneously
- Full screen video view
- PTZ (pan, tilt, zoom) control for camera motion
- Familiar finger drag and pinch controls
- Group cameras for quick access
- Automatic discovery of properly configured network cameras

An early video (from July) demos the product:

Youtube

While end users can download it, the company recommends you contact a reseller/integrator to make sure you have the proper equipment to run the app.

App Store Link: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=286676977&mt=8

Article Link: iRa - $899.99 iPhone App for Video Surveillance

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I could definitely imagine a market for this app (even at the price) if the right people know about it... On the flip side, if you're not one of those right people, there are probably other right people who would code an app just like it for less :p

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Gouging?

And just think, you could buy something similar (poor man's version) on the App Store for 8 bucks.

Forced Perfect

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2004
Toronto, Canada.
As a security guard who spends a large chunk of his life watching cameras like that, I must say that program is very impressive.

Just get access control working on it (door alarms, etc.) and I'll see if my boss will spring for it so I never have to come to work again. :p

Lenel On Guard is possibly the worst computer program ever written and I'm stuck with it 12 hours at a time. haha

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
As a security guard who spends a large chunk of his life watching cameras like that, I must say that program is very impressive.

Just get access control working on it (door alarms, etc.) and I'll see if my boss will spring for it so I never have to come to work again. :p

Lenel On Guard is possibly the worst computer program ever written and I'm stuck with it 12 hours at a time. haha

Haha, I work with Lenel as well and couldn't agree with you more.

Will_reed

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
It looks like a really cool app and all but I feel like its maybe a hundred or so too expensive.
But maybe to people who would use this kind of app it's a small price to pay who knows.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Uh, what's wrong with using your network camera's web interface to do the same stuff (pan, tilt, etc). Save a few Safari bookmarks/"tabs" and so forth...

Flhusky

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Florida
Uh, what's wrong with using your network camera's web interface to do the same stuff (pan, tilt, etc). Save a few Safari bookmarks/"tabs" and so forth...
Unless Safari suddenly started to support activeX, active X plug-ins or Flash its as Useless as tits on a warthog.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Unless Safari suddenly started to support activeX, active X plug-ins or Flash its as Useless as tits on a warthog.

What crap network cameras are you getting that require that junk? And can it really be worth $899 per seat to work around shoddy equipment?

As an aside, I'm sure the warthog piglets would find them useful.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Hmmm.....

I've recently spent some time researching security cameras and systems for small businesses, because my employer is considering setting something up.

Honestly, this is one of those markets where I think you can either rig something up pretty inexpensively if you're tech savvy and a little creative, or pay big $'s for a "professional grade" solution.

People who own one small retail store should *really* look into some of the cheap solutions first, I think. (For example, Logitech sells a line of products called "WiLife", with both indoor and outdoor cameras offered, starting at about $250 for a "starter kit" with the computer software and 1 camera. It can be expanded to monitor up to 6 cameras at a time, and does high-resolution color video.)

I can't see paying almost $900 just for iPhone viewer software, no matter how nice it is, unless there's actually more to the offer than meets the eye. (EG. This might be interesting if the people selling it offer you heavily discounted camera hardware, once you've paid for the iPhone software that mates with it.)

If my uncle had an iPhone, this looks like something perfect for him (he runs a grocery store).

Flhusky

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Florida
And just think, you could buy something similar (poor man's version) on the App Store for 8 bucks.

Except it is totaly useless in the environment that they are targeting.
Air Cam;
Requirements

* A Mac laptop running Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard), with built-in iSight webcam, or a Mac computer with a compatible external webcam
* Download and run the free Mac software from http://www.senstic.com/iphone/aircam/aircam.aspx to stream your video feed.

Pretty useless in a multi-camera environment where most people watch atleast 6 static cameras and 6-10 rotating cameras.

TheNorthWaves

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
USA
nine hundred bucks sure is a lot to pay when you don't know if the next version of iphone firmware will break it, and when you don't know if the company making the software will provide working updates when (not if) that occurs. There is currently zero accountability.

LaDirection

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2006
I have a $999.99 app coming myself, it will be a touch control interface to launch Intercontinental ballistic missiles with Nuclear warheads remotely and calculate the exact moment of impact.

I will start beta testing it today.

Flhusky

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Florida
What crap network cameras are you getting that require that junk? And can it really be worth $899 per seat to work around shoddy equipment?

As an aside, I'm sure the warthog piglets would find them useful.

Hardware(camera) is irrelevant(mostly) its the software that accesses the data on the server. I've no idea what the 'norm' is but 3 sites I deal with use either IE6 or some proprietary software to watch cameras. They don't like us 'techs' getting near the physical security servers/hardware :rolleyes: Guess Windows NT and WFW is good enough for them :)

I'd like to get more into video surveillance but I think my neighbors would freak out if i stuck half a dozen cameras on the outside of my house :D

RoboCop001

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I have a $999.99 app coming myself, it will be a touch control interface to launch Intercontinental ballistic missiles with Nuclear warheads remotely and calculate the exact moment of impact.

I'll take down your ICBMs with SkyNet. And you can control it with the iPhone for just $9999.99! 99..99999! and 99 cents!

Eventually SkyNet won't even need an iPhone to control it because next August it's programmed to go insane.

When that happens, iPhone controls you! :)

What a feature :D

NewGenAdam

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008

Oops, sorry, no can do: that's against Apple's terms of service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.