IRC for iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by pranavss11, Dec 25, 2008.

1. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

Anyone know if there are any irc clients for iPhone??

2. zorahk macrumors 6502

when there was jailbreaking as the standard, there was colloquy, but I am not sure about if it is on the app store as well.

3. divabimbers macrumors member

There's Rooms but it is a paid app although worth it IMHO as it's currently the best IRC client on there. The others aren't even worth mentioning at this point and I don't know if there are any others planned soon as it is.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

I'm a bit late to the party, eh? :)

Colloquy (disclaimer: im one of the contributors) for iPhone and iPod touch has been submitted to Apple, sadly we have no timeframe on approval. This is the same thing as mcolloquy (but not colloq) for jailbreak waaay back on 1.1.x. To be fair, I've seen hints that the colloq dev is also working on a client, but when/if that will be done and released is something I wouldn't know.

If you're reallly desperate for clients, there's IRChon (free, ad supported), Rooms, LimeChat, ebIRC and more. Although in my biased way, I have to suggest that if Colloquy is approved as-is, you'll be wanting to wait ;)

5. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

any word on a projected price point for Colloquy?

6. pranavss11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks janey I think I'll wait. I tried a couple and they blow bad.

7. akame macrumors member

u can try dchat which retails at 1.99.

that day it was free.

8. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

don't waste your money, bought room use it once. hard to see anything

9. WPeterson macrumors member

WPeterson

irc chat is still coooool somehow. i'm using jailbreaking with colloquy, and everything works fine. the bad thing is, irc is dying somehow....

:cool:

10. janey macrumors 603

janey

$1.99. I'm starting to get real sick of everyone thinking open source == free or anything, but hey guys..$99 for a dev cert from Apple, all the work involved... :p

Anyway, http://colloquy.info/mobile :)

11. gillybean macrumors 6502a

I've found the best way to IRC from the iPhone is to run mIRC on your computer, and then use WinAdmin to Remote Desktop from your iPhone into your computer to use it. That way you can stay connected on IRC even when you're doing something else with the phone, and you can use all the features of mIRC.

12. pranavss11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Eh Thats too much work tho. I think I am going to wait for Jen's thing to see if it's any good; till then I guess I'll use browser ircs.

13. janey macrumors 603

janey

Nope. Get an actual client, whatever your preference is: colloquy, rooms, limechat, ebirc... Then figure out some way to run a bouncer like psybnc, znc, miau or another. It is way easier to go this route than to vnc anywhere, and much less bandwidth-intensive as well.

(For what it is worth, I don't mind mirc, but I don't mind mobile IRC clients for what they give me in freedom and flexibility, and this is coming from someone who is netadmin/oper on a couple networks. Don't need remote mirc in any way..)

well, like I said, it's out :) http://mobile.colloquy.info