iReal SMS vs BiteSMS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bbplayer5, Dec 2, 2010.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Just tried both of them... besides the prices, why would anyone choose BiteSMS? iRealSMS seems to be far far far better... What am I missing here?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Never tried iReal but whats the reasons its far far far far far better than Bite?

3. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

Well (dont quote me on them both not being able to do this) but iReal reads text messages to you via your headset when you are on bluetooth. It can be set to run in memory - loading far faster, has blacklists etc... only thing I dont see is custom sounds for contacts?

The reading the messages through bluetooth is a nice thing, as well as the blacklist for annoying people that you dont want messaging you. :p Also seemed more stable with GV SMS integration... had some issues with Bite using this... would freeze.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting.
    If you dont use bluetooth does it still read the texts for you?
    The blacklist feature sounds cool too, does it only block texts/mms or calls also?

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

my vote is to BiteSMS, however i have't use iREalSMS for a long time. They are pretty much the same, the Voice feature is new to iRealSMS, cool feature on paper, not really of my interest. (personally)

6. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

Why i chose BiteSMS...

..because i could turn off alerts on the lockscreen!

Really though, i tried both and both are excellent apps. My main JB app is Lockinfo and anything i use has to work with LI. I couldnt for the life of me figure out how to turn off Alerts on the lockscreen while bitesms was easy to turn off. LI has an option to turn it off but IRealSMS did it anyway so that didnt fly. Otherwise though, both apps are the same. The voice stuff was cool but i didnt ever use it. I finally settled on BiteSMS. I really like it.

7. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

Does iRealSMS allow you to use the full program for free? (Of course I bought mine 2 years ago but still..)

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, and thats probably why most use Bite.
    That small banner ad on the bottom of the messages app is not bad at all for having full acess to a program like that.
    Ireal is about $13

9. TJone macrumors 6502a

I don't use bluetooth either. If it does read text without bluetooth it would be interesting but then it would be good if it could detect when headphones are plugged in to be useful. It could be awkward otherwise if it started reading texts while you are in a meeting or something and maybe becomes more of a gimmick. I really enjoying Bitesms at the moment.

10. LoLife macrumors regular

I am curious does iReal read the messages while the head phones are plugged in? I drive a lot and listen to audio files but on mine, I use Bite, it only reads them when they are MMS why won't read SMS. I would probably consider a switch to iReal if they did read while the head phones were plugged in