Ireland and UK iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dast1g, Jun 8, 2010.

1. dast1g macrumors regular

dast1g

Need some help ... I live in the south of ireland but I'm only 20 mins away from the north so can I get an iPhone 4 up the north and bring it down south?? Will 02 or apple in the north unlock it for me??

2. synagence macrumors 6502a

Assuming they release Pay and Go iPhone 4's on day 1 then i think you can ... i think they charge a small fee + you lose the unlimited internet bit of the sim but if you're taking it south i guess that doesn't matter...

Takes up to a couple of weeks to unlock too... Get your friend to call o2 to clarify i would say but its possible

3. dast1g thread starter macrumors regular

dast1g

Will I ring 02 in the north?

4. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

I would leave calling o2 for now. I am in a similar position to you, I am actually from the North but am moving away to Canada on June 30th so will be in a hurry to unlock the iPhone 4 before I leave. I am therefore also looking for a PAYG handset. If you call o2 now, they won't be able to tell you what you need to know. I/you should wait until they announce pricing and whether a PAYG option will even be available on June 24th -lots of people are assuming that it will be available at launch like last year, but demand will be much higher this time around so options might be limited. So it is possible that we will be disappointed, as the initial release could be for contract-only handsets. I have also never seen so many people talk about buying the non-contract phones before, I think people are finally seeing the benefits of buying the iPhone upfront as they hold their value so well.
    Hope this info helps.

5. dast1g thread starter macrumors regular

dast1g

It does thanks a lot ... Just my 3GS is pay as you go and I'm bit too young for a contract on the iPhone 4 plus the wait for this iPhone will feel like an eternity because all we were told was July for Ireland :(

6. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

No worries! Best thing to do for now is to check this forum for updates on the situation (you can bet that i'll be here too, waiting on same info as you!) and keep an eye on the o2 website here:
    http://shop.o2.co.uk/new-iphone/index.html

;)