Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Here in Ireland we voted last night on the entry.

To be honest ALL the entries were utter *****. It also doesn't matter how serious you take the eurovision, the point is that 'song quality' rarely has anything to do with the voting which these days is mostly political; and is basicly the eastern block of europe voting for each other.

So we may as well make it a bit of fun.

Ireland may not even get through the qualifiers yet, therefore Dustin may not even represent Ireland in Eurovision.

We have in the past ran a 'Your a Star' competition which was like American Idol / X-Factor style competition, where the winner would go on to sing the Eurovision song. However we dropped that a couple years back after all the entrants basically were never heard of after Eurovision and it just became an emabarrasing gimmick.

So if taking it seriously has failed..... what the hell, take the piss and screw it.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
^ Oh I agree, which is why i support Bill Bailey's efforts to do this year's Eurovision for the UK.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I love the bit where they throw in a riverdance just to take more piss out of ourselves :D

However..... I'm not sure other than the UK, which other country would actually get the joke.

Remember too that those Eastern Block countries actually take it seriously and think its about national pride. Not national shame as we have grown accustomed to thinking the last number of years.

Sorry for my ignorance, but is his some kind of joke act (pretty bad one if it is)? Surely they can't be serious.

Yes... and you have just proved my point.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
That's just fantastic :eek::D

Sadly I get the impression that the UK will be the only country that votes for it. This year's winner will be one of the ex-Yugoslav republics again. Every year that passes they get another bunch of votes to give to each other.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Thinking again, I've got a feeling this could go a long way :cool:

Most of the Western European countries are wanting the voting system reformed. I can imagine the French, Germans and Austrians calling in for this one, and quite a few in the smaller non-voting bloc countries too.

Hmmmm, well it's a decent effort considering anyway. It'll definitely do better than our knob-gag Airfest from last year :)

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
Oh dear

embarrassed003.gif

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Nah, what we need is an Amy Winehouse/Pete Doherty combo :D

Their drug induced screaming would properly be better than most of our recent entries...

I actually love this entry, it's good to see someone finally propperly taking the piss out of eurovision, i really don't see how anyone can take it seriously anymore...

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Yay! Eurovision's just around the corner. :D

Interesting bit of news...last year's winner of Australian Idol will be performing for Malta! It'll be very interesting to see how it goes.

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
25 years ago there was much commotion about the entry that a professional jury sent to the contest. The audience did not appreciate the decision as you can see in this capture (Pas de Deux - Rendez Vous - 1983)

also this Belgian entry was a bit controversial in 1980 (Telex - Eurovision - 1980)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.