Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noisemaker

Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I want to pick up an adapter today to do some better recording with GarageBand on my iPad. Is the iRig my best option? I'm not looking to spend a ridiculous amount, but I want decent recording quality.

Noisemaker

Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I can't say that I'm too interested in the Apogee - it looks great and all, but $100 is kind of expensive for what it is.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California

I can't say that I'm too interested in the Apogee - it looks great and all, but $100 is kind of expensive for what it is.

I was pretty bummed too when I saw the price. Especially when you realize that this is all it really is: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-GuitarLink-USB-Audio-Interface-Cable-703593-i1434723.gc

Sadly, I suppose it is only a matter of time before I breakdown and buy it.

Noisemaker

Original poster
Mar 13, 2009

I think I'll grab an iRig today and see how I like it. I'm hoping for demo quality, so we'll see. Worst case scenario is that I just have to return it if it's too noisy.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

I think I'll grab an iRig today and see how I like it. I'm hoping for demo quality, so we'll see. Worst case scenario is that I just have to return it if it's too noisy.

I can guarantee that you'll be returning it (awesome for practice, though).

Mickief

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
South of France

When you do, could you please come back here and give us your impression of the iRig? The Apogee is just too expensive for me and I'd like to hear what you think of the iRig (particularly in terms of noisiness).

Thanks!

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
When you do, could you please come back here and give us your impression of the iRig? The Apogee is just too expensive for me and I'd like to hear what you think of the iRig (particularly in terms of noisiness).

Thanks!

I have it; I use it; it's noisy.

Noisemaker

Original poster
Mar 13, 2009

Mickief said:

Thanks!

Yeah - I'll actually do you one better and do some demos with it.

Mickief

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
South of France

Wow...that really is "one better"....that'd be just perfect. :)

Noisemaker

Original poster
Mar 13, 2009

Mickief said:

Wow...that really is "one better"....that'd be just perfect. :)

I'll try to get some up tonight. If not it will be tomorrow.

I'll be using a Fender Jazzmaster, a myriad of effects, and I'll also demo some clean sounds - all through GarageBand on an iPad 2.

Noisemaker

Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
First off, apologies for the delay. I haven't had the time to get the clips together and uploaded until just now.

I did four clips - all through GarageBand on an iPad 2. For the guitar clips I'm using a Fender Jazzmaster, and on the bass clip I'm using a Fender Jazz Bass.

As you'll hear, there's not a lot of noise with the guitar clips - even with an insane amount of fuzz. The noise gate in GarageBand takes care of a lot of it. The bass clip is a bit noisier, but please note that my bass' pickups aren't the quietest to start with. :eek:

I was also shocked at how well the amp models in GarageBand respond to effect pedals. I'm a total pedal geek, so it was a big worry of mine. Most of them respond excellently with pedals - very much like a real amp. There was some muddiness with dirt pedals on some of the models that have more gain added, but turning down the gain on the preset always removed the muddiness.

Clean Demo - Neck Pickup, "Sparkling Clean" Preset:

http://soundcloud.com/noisemaker-effects/irig-clean-demo

Overdriven Demo - Bridge Pickup, "Clean Combo" Preset, and I'm using a Noisemaker Effects Propaganda Overload overdrive pedal.

http://soundcloud.com/noisemaker-effects/irig-overdriven-demo

Fuzz Demo - Bridge Pickup, "Clean Stack" Preset, and I'm using a Noisemaker Effects Injector Fuzz pedal.

http://soundcloud.com/noisemaker-effects/irig-fuzz-demo

Bass Demo - Both Pickups, "Clean Stack" Preset.

http://soundcloud.com/noisemaker-effects/irig-bass-demo

jaimeastin

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Thanks for posting. My friend had the Peavey one. He gave it to me to try on the iphone/ipad a while back but I did not have the time to test it. He later returned it though...

I would rather have a clean sound to record with. This is why I am more leaning toward buying the apogee jam, if and when they every release it... supposed ot be today... But shoot, it is not like i would used the recording for anything more than a demo... I will do all finishing work in pro tools, so if I find a "cheap" irig, i might pick it up based on your demo. :cool:

your demo was good and informative, thanks again.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Ok here's the scoop de doop:

1) iRig: is junk, and expensive junk at that. Reason: serious imbalances with the signal. Just what you want for an electric guitar LOL

2) Peavy: is worse junk. Cheap Chinese junk. A TOTAl rip-off that most likely won't even work. Belive it or not, the guitar plug doesn't EVEN FREAKING FIT correctly. You have to jiggle it around as the connection isn't flush or something. On Amazon suckers make comments like: "I had to finesse the cable to get sound but that's ok, it works GREAT if I don't move it. I'm happy!"

3) Apogee: is WAY overpriced, but probably at least works. True value?
$15 US.

Now here's a good one.

4) Sonoma Wire works. These guys are criminals. They are playing to juvenile, budding, guitar dimwits who are by definition brain dead. If you pay hundreds of dollars for this you had better be good at guitar, cuz your unemployable.

Best to just get the connection kit, as going in though the headphone jack is a bad idea. Just Google for Guitar USB cable or whatever. $15/$20 US will get you one that's works perfectly with an iPad. I have a Chinese Ebay version of the Berringer that has everything. (the led is so bright it's like a laser in your eyes though. I had to put tape over it. :D )

The Alesis Guitarlink looks like a nice low profile solution. But The adapter I got for about $15, also has a headphone output, a hi-low signal switch, and a volume control and is still low profile. The Alesis is just a simple input cable. Anyway, here's the generic equivalent of the Alesis on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/3M-USB-PC-Guita...ccessories&hash=item415052c491#ht_3297wt_1141

Here's the one I got:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=us...able+2m&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

note: this is link to a Ebay search for a 1M cable. The link above that is for a 3M cable without the added controls and ports. Something to consider

Just my opinion. Take it or leave it. :D

Last edited:

Phisherman81

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
Does anyone think the 3M USB cable plugged into the usb camera connection kit adaptor would work? Has anyone tried?

Edit: now that I reread the thread, its sounds like that is what you're doing. How are noise levels?

Last edited:

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to link a effects processor pedal like the Zoom G2.1Nu directly to Garageband on the iPad using the camera connection kit USB port?

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/g2nu/

If it needs a driver for Mac it will not work. Only devices that use the built in core-audio driver will work with the connection kit. Also, it will only work from the Ac adapter (i'm certain of this, as the buss power from the ipad is much lower than the Mac).

And editors that the mac uses won't work (obviously)

So you will have to try and Google to see if people are installing a driver, or call tech support. (make sure you get the RIGHT answer from support if you call). If I had a dime for every time tech support cost me money..........

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.