Iris 5100 vs HD4000: what happens with 125% difference if I don't like games?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ka-spot, Sep 6, 2013.

1. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

Can someone please explain for a developer

using Xcode, NetBeans, Dreamweaver, Chrome, Web server (XAMPP)

and with plans of using Parallels (Win 7/8 for ASP.NET development with Visual Studio)

and with photography as a hobby (Photoshop CS6 only)

where is the benefit of having Haswell retina 13" vs current retina 13" (Feb 2013)?

It's more then twice better, so how and when will I notice this with software I'm using?

2. simsaladimbamba

You will notice it with more fluid animations in the OS, especially with a MacBook Pro with Retina Display.
    And the better battery life is also quite a plus.

3. ka-spot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah... but please with "examples" for a newbie ? Or at least with more sentences? ;)

4. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Nobody knows. It doesn't exist. I suspect you'll be able to sit longer in front of your beach house without power though.

What is twice better?

If your worried about your current unit suddenly slowing down to a crawl once new machines are introduced... I guarantee it will run exactly like it does now. :D

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

For all the stuff you list; absolutely nothing will happen.
    Even in Photoshop only selected things are actually accelerated and even fewer of those need serious GPU speed most just need 'a' gpu. To rotate a picture you don't need much and the same goes for many filters on a reasonably sized picture.
    The whole programming stuff and just basic OS animations don't need much speed and the HD 4000 is already capable of pushing more than enough pixels.

What you get is more battery life and probably a less noisy notebook because it is only a 28W chip compared to the former 35W.
    Really in terms of performance you are more likely to trade down than up for that stuff. Clocks are I think a little lower because of the 28W.
    Difference will be small. Slightly faster per clock and only 0-200Mhz slower. They will probably benchmark almost the same on the CPU front.
    The difference would be bigger if Apple actually used the fast 35W chips and not the slowest ones there are.
    It is kind of funny how people say Iris Pro (HD 5200) is expensive, when it is only about 60-80 $ more than the normal quads. At the same time if Apple switches from those cheapo dual cores to the slowest ones with HD 5100 they go from $225 chips to $342 chips. $123 delta :)

6. ka-spot thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. ka-spot thread starter macrumors 6502a

I still don't get it what exactly will be faster with iris 5100 ? :confused:

8. simsaladimbamba

Can this help?

9. ka-spot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not exactly, because I'm not using benchmarks to work with, but I'm using dev "tools" and PS...

Let me ask a different question:
    If I put together side by side equal retina's 13" with HD 4000 and HD 5100 and I'm using them both for the same development and PS 25MB RAW files editing > where will I see/feel the difference?

10. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

In the OS animations, using mission control, app expose, swifting desktops, etc.